[TechAssist] Re: How to set screen on Sony sets (and other brands) with auto Kine bias.

  • From: "Leonard Caillouet" <lcaillo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 23:06:46 -0500

Actually, you should refer to the specific procedure for each set as defined
by the manufacturer.  A typical Sony procedure (this one is for the KV27S40)
is below:

1. Input a dots pattern.
2. Set the PICTURE and BRIGHT controls at minimum
and COLOR control at normal.
3. Adjust SBRT, GCUT, BCUT in service mode with an
oscilloscope as shown in Fig. 11 so that voltages on the red,
green, and blue cathodes are 170Vdc.
4. Observe the screen and adjust SCREEN (G2) VR
to obtain the faintly visible background of dot signal.

Actually, the Sony sets will work in a pretty wide range of G2 voltages
until the CRT gets older, but you might not get good tracking through a gray
scale if the setting is too far off or if you start with cathode biases that
are too far off.  You are somewhat limited on the bias with the sonys when
there is no red cuttoff adjustment, however.  If you don't have a manual and
you need to adjust a set with AKB, I would set the G2 as high as possible
without getting retrace, masure the voltage, turn it down until the pix
blanks, measure the voltage and start with the voltage set in the middle of
that range and check to see how the tube tracks a grey scale.  Adjust up or
down to get the best tracking with no retrace.  Best method, however, is to
stick with the manufacturer's procedure.  I often check the G2 voltage
before making any adjustments so that I can return to the factory setting if
I need to.

Leonard Caillouet