[TechAssist] Re: Hitachi TP48C51 needs 2 converg. ICs STK392-020: generacs or original?

  • From: "Leonard Caillouet" <lcaillo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 06:42:15 -0400

Phil,

Recent experience with the STK392 series of convergence ICs has been erratic
with generics.  In particular, the -110s have been problematic.  In the -0xx
series, you can upgrade to higher numbers in the second digit for greater
power ratings.  I would use the Toshibas.  Of the manufacturer sources they
have the best pricing and I have yet to have a bad one from them.  No matter
what you use make sure that you deal with a company that will take back
defectives without a hassle and test the related circuits thoroughly.  On
the Toshibas I have had a couple that had problems in the DCU that caused
the output to fail, and you always need to check the related power resistors
and electrolytics.  I just check the convergence channels out of the DCU for
dc offset on all the Toshibas now, having had two that drove me nuts.

I use generics or other brand originals for most of the Sonys, BTW.  I have
never had a problem with differences in performance and the pricing is
ridiculous.

Leonard Caillouet
Electronics World
1261 NW 76 Blvd