[TechAssist] Re: Hitachi 50UX58B Lightbox?

  • From: "Damon" <damoneb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 07:01:06 -0500

The whole unit should fit in a van (take a tape measure with you) but if
not, take a 6 pack of colored permanent markers and use these markers to
color-code the connections you remove....between the circuit boards and the
CRT Frame Assembly. I do it all the time to reconnect the system quickly.

I choose one color for signal board, one for deflection, one for power, one
for convergence.
 Red, Green and Blue is best for Vert/Horiz/Conv connections on the yoke
connectors. If you have 2 or more connections that are the SAME SIZE coming
off one board I change the color on each one. NEVER color-code "same sized"
connectors with one color.

Start by Red/Green/Blue-ing the yokes, next it's best to code the same sized
connectors on one board---Double color it if you want- a stripe for board, a
dot for connector. Or mark the connector, and mark the wire (ie connector
for board placement, wire for plug placement)

You should be able to color code 1st, then pull the electronic chassis, then
the Front panel controls (if needed). ALWAYS take the remote with you. Then
pull the entire CRT Frame as an assembly.....do not pull the CRTs out of the
frame (that's too much work).
And be careful of the CRT Necks......better to remove the front screen if
you have to, and lift the frame out from the front. I generally will remove
it from the back, but to do that you need good strong Wrists and a
plan-of-action in your mind. (Example: With Mitsubishi, I stick my legs
partially in, get a good grip on the frame, pick it up while rotating the
frame (necks roll upwards, lenses downwards, and ON my legs). But if you are
a beginner.....remove the front screen, it only takes 5-10 minutes to get it
off.
Believe me, if you consistantly do it this way, you can shop repair ANY
large projection TV....although sound problems will require you to have a
set of speakers at the shop.

Damon B
Telrad Electronics
Fort Wayne IN