[TechAssist] GIF images viruses

  • From: <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TechAssist" <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 10:20:09 -0500

Listen to this guys.  This is certainly a first, and I knew
it would eventually happen.  Lately I have been getting
viruses alerts JUST from LOOKING at webpages ALONE.  Norton
would stop them of course.  This was something new, so be on
the alert for that.  They have so far all been this virus
listed below, but were all .html documents placed in the temp
internet files folder, or attempted I should say, then
quarantined.

Now if that's not bad enough, I just got a GIF image that was
a virus!  A GIF.  Most thought this was impossible, but
obviously it is not.  So, what this means is, now sending
simple images of jokes, screen shots, scans, etc, that many
of us do, can now be infected with viruses.  The particular
virus that was sent to quarantine was the
JS.exception.exploit  It was sent to my temporary internet
files folder just from looking at a webpage.  It has the .gif
extension and the standard GIF icon.  Obviously it goes
without saying that ANYTIME one is connected to the net, an
AV program MUST be running at all times, and don't forget to
check for updates DAILY.  Not weekly, but DAILY.

I do not recommend AVG AntiVirus software since I found out
they only update their virus definitions MONTHLY, which is
pathetic.  There are dozens of new viruses and worms each
week!!  So, if any of you use it, you are taking a BIG risk.
-Clint

God Bless Us All
Tech-Assist Administration
http://tech-assist.org