[TechAssist] Re: FIXED, RCA CTC131M, dead.

  • From: Phil Bader <tjanphyl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 17:02:17 -0500

This is a judgement call.
 Technically,legally, any time you defeat an "integral safety part" you
are altering the FCC and UL type acceptance of the unit, and assume
liability for any resulting damages  connected to your modification.
Now. real world: danger?, probably not. I might put a light fuse inline
with the primary lead. The original was inside the windings so if the
transformer overheats, the part will sense the heat and open. "Thermal"
cut off, not over-current  cutoff. I bypassed one in a stereo for my own
use. many transformers don't even use them. It's your call.
Phil Bader