[TechAssist] Re: Emerson Microwave MW8107WAC blows fuse once in a while, [UPDATE]

  • From: Doug Keller <dek@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 08:04:30 -0500

Back during the Christmas season, Jay told me at one of the
stores they were at shopping, they had microwaves for $34.99.
I told him to go buy one, throw it on the bench, remove the
magnetron, then call to price a new one. Would be $40-$45 at
least, plus shipping. If you charged ZERO for labor on this
stuff, the customer STILL has more in it than it would cost to
just replace with another new one! This is the whole problem
in trying to make a living at repair today. I wish the federal
government would look into this. We have no voice in
government, unfortunately, and I myself have no idea of where
to even start.
Doug

teltek3 wrote:

> Gary;
> Adding a Thermal cut-off switch to the magnetron would add to the price
> of$79 to $80.
> Does the sticker say Emerson or just "E". Thought they might cut some
> corners there..too. But then it might be mistaken dor Electrohome, and
> Citizen bought that logo.
> You can't add a magnetron to a Kenner Easy Bake Oven, and try to market it
> as a Micowave.
> I think "UL" and "CSA" labels must be marketed by the roll these days..;-)
>     If you're going to take the time to disect one of these, at least work
> on a Toshiba or Panasonic.
> Microwaves....like VCR's are bought as a disposable item these days.
> Been there.
>
> -Ed-
> .
> Tel-Tek Electronics
> Ontario-Canada
>
> teltek3@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Doug Keller          "Learn from the mistakes of others,
Wis-Kel Electronics   because you won't live long enough
101 Freeland Ave.     to make them all yourself"
Terra Alta, WV
USA        26764
dek@xxxxxxxxxx