[TechAssist] Re: Can you burn cd from radio input?

  • From: Jay Knoll <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 22:48:47 -0400

It is not too hard to do I have made cd copies of tapes in the past. Basic
instructions on link below.

http://www.angelfire.com/vt2/tommymc3/CD-R#quiz3

To connect an external tape or LP player to your computer, you will need to
run a patch cord from the 'output' of your source to the 'input' of your
computer's soundcard
Patch cord: The exact configuration of this cord will vary with each
individual case. This should be a shielded audio type cable that will run
from your tape deck or phonograph to your computer.
Input: This is where you hook your patch cord into your sound card. You may
need to check your computer's documentation if it is not marked, but on the
back of your computer, you should be able to locate the jacks for your
sound card. Your speakers will be plugged into the output jack. Most
likely, there will also be a 'mic' and 'line' input. The 'mic' input is
usually mono, so use the 'line' input. It is probably a 1/8" stereo
mini-plug , the same kind you see on 'Walkman' headphones. So you need this
kind of plug on one end of your patch cord. If you plan to do much
recording from instruments, or stereo systems, you may wish to construct a
line-in box for ease in hooking up patch cords.
Output: There is likely to be more variation in the type of plug you need
for this end of the patch cord. You need to locate an output on your phono
or tape deck. If this is part of a stereo system, look on the back for a
'line out'. This would likely be two RCA type phono plugs marked 'L' and
'R'. In a pinch, or if there is no 'line out' (on a boombox for instance)
the 'headphone' jack will work. Some experimentation with volume will be
necessary to prevent clipping. (distortion due to excess volume)
J. Knoll
Administration
www.techassist.net

At 09:00 PM 7/14/03 -0500, you wrote:
>A client asked me if an RCA CDRW 121 can burn a cd from a radio, phono,or
>tape input? A salesman assured him that he could. I only know it to burn a
>cd from another cd.
>My other question is, can any brand of a cd burner burn a cd from the
>above inputs like you could with a tape recorder?
>Jonas Miglinas
>Miglinas TV
>Chicago
>CHECK OUT THE NEW CHATROOM! Just login and click on chat!
>http://www.tech-assist.org/secure/tip/main.htm
>The Tech Address Book:
>http://www.tech-assist.org/secure/tip/contact.htm
>Add a Repair Tip Here, or Change/Remove your Email Address:
>http://www.tech-assist.org/secure/tip/main.htm
>Lost Password:
>http://www.tech-assist.org  and select "Lost your Login Info?".
>Email Archives: