[tcb] Re: Where do you start to lap valves

  • From: sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 15:28:45 -0800 (PST)

You should be able to buy lapping compound at any auto supply store as well as
the little suction cup with the stick attached.  Our resident guru mechanic
Mark might not approve of this; but I have also use an electric drill motor.
Put the valve in with some lapping compound around the seat, stick it in the
head, chuck up the "keeper" end stem in the drill chuck, run the motor on slow
and pull pressure on the valve; reverse the motor and do the same running in
reverse.  A whole lot easier than hand lapping with the little suction cup.
And you shouldn't need any dye to tell you if it is seated.  You should be able
to tell by looking at the valve and the valve seat when you have it lapped
properly.

One further note:  Have someone who knows 1600 dual port heads examine your
heads closely for cracks since used heads have a high probablity of some
fractures.

And again: check with Mark for his advice; but when I built a VW motor (I don't
do that anymore)  I always lapped the cylinder jugs into the head to make sure
I had a good seal.