[tcb] Re: What all is going on at the same time.

  • From: sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2007 13:50:47 -0700 (PDT)

Denis:  The only reason that I know of for the springs to be welded is to hold
them together when installing.  The weld does nothing after that and most of
the time the weld is broken when removing old ones.  I have welded ones when
installing just to get the springs to stay together when inserting them.  If
the end of all spings is not firmly together when inserting them they will
catch and not go through the inner connector which is a tight fit.  Maybe
wolfgangs idea of the masking tape will work.  But, my experience is that they
work better welded with a little bevel ground on the end, at least the end you
are inserting.  I have installed lots of these these things on cars but only
one set on a bus.  Job is about the same and sometimes it goes right in and
sometimes it's tough.  Also make sure you insert them in the correct position
the first time.  They will go in 90,180 and 270 degrees off.  Look for the
center mark,  It should allign with the tapered allen bolt in the
 beam when the bolt is screwed in.  The allen head bolt screwed into the
countersunk hole in the torsion springs is what holds these things in place
when installed.
  Sammie

 wrote:
          I have heard that the purpose of time is so that everything doesn't
happen at once. It doesn't seem to be working for me.

  I got one side of Murray's suspension off. The king pin with the steering
knuckle and link pins all came off as one. I ruined a metal brake line, so I
get to learn about replacing that. I have taken off the rubber "stub" and
removed the trailing arms and explosed the end of the torsion springs. Derrick
at Wayout gave me a demo, pulling a beam out of a pile and removing the springs
to show me how that all works. It was useful. I was having problems
visuallizing what everybody was telling me.

  The difference between the bundle of springs Derrick gave me and the ones
that I have exposed on Murray is that Murrays are welded together. There
appears to be a crack in the weld on both the upper and the lower. There is no
other sign of damage. I will know lots more when I have freed up the other side
and removed the whole set of springs.

  Today we are draining the hot tub and clearing off everything on and below
the deck of the house. Tomorrow the first crews will arrive to tear off the
deck and the roof on the front of the house so that they can excavate for the
footings on the new addition. The big rocks will be here tomorrow for the
terracing of the new "backyard" which will have flat spots for busses to park
and camp.They say that they can finish the whole project in 80 days with plenty
of time for Psycoblooie.

  We have agreed on the type of windows to give us a glass wall over the lake
side 32' wide and 16' high.  The trailer (Penthouse) will move further down the
hillside to make room for the new Bathouse which will have our second bathroom,
sauna, and the new home of the hot tub with access from the "theater".

  Have I left anything out?

  I hope replacing the torsion spring will fix the sagging passenger side. I
can't figure what else could be responsible. I will hate that, after all this
work, for it not to be the thing.