[tcb] Well crap (burning coils?)

  • From: Gerald Livingston <gerald.tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 03:18:40 -0500

What would cause coils to go out ... repeatedly?

I cannot be absolutely certain that is what's wrong this time because
it is 3am and raining and I'm not walking BACK to where I left the bus
(in a customer's parking lot about 1/2 mile from here) and putzing with
it in the dark.

When I was having the strange "firing out of time" issue it cleared up
by replacing the MSD Blaster coil that was in there with the old one I
had taken out when I installed the MSD.

That was mid January. At the end of February the bus quit starting
again. I went to AutoZone and bought another coil. It is clearly
labeled USE WITHOUT EXTERNAL RESISTOR. I added a ballast resistor
anyway just in case something was burning up coils.

Well, that one went out (it would appear to have anyway) a couple of
hours ago. I'll replace it some time today and see if it gets me
running again and will update this thread.

Until then, what could cause failure of multiple coils?

Gerald