[tcb] Warning - Technical Question

  • From: Ronnie Hughes <fracdogii@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 17:08:33 -0800 (PST)

Ok if you are this far, you read the disclaimer.

My 1970 bus has a scraping noise coming from the rear wheel.  I can put on the
brake and it stops.  So last weekend I pulled the drum expecting to see
something loose in the brakes.  What I found was the spacer ring appears to be
rubbing on the back of the drum.  Both surfaces were very shiny like they were
rubbing.  I pulled the oil seal and didn't see anything special.

So I looked on the bus depot and wolfsburg west websites and they don't show a
spacer ring and no p/n's.  My bently and haynes manuals both show the spacer.

1.  Does the spacer rotate with the drum?
2.  Does the spacer push against the bearing?
3.  What's the spacer for?

Looks like I'm heading to pulling the rear bearing housing and replacing the
bearings and seals.  Reading the manual this looks a pretty big project.  What
do you think?  Run it until it explodes?  Try to tear down the bearing
housing?
Let Mark do it?  What special tools will I need?

Any advice is appreciated.

Ronnie