[tcb] Sparky

  • From: "Gerald V. Livingston II" <gvl2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 21:32:47 -0500 (Central Standard Time)

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 21:14:53 -0500 Ronnie Hughes <y4s6wd5@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Sparky gave us a little scare on the way home.  On the long bridge on
> Hwy 36 about 30 miles out of Temple, we were cruising along and
> everything went dead for about 1 second.  I thought great, on a bridge,
> cars behind us and no place to pull over.  But, it picked right back up
> and never another hiccup for another 130 miles.  Even took my daughter
> to choir practice tonight in Sparky and no problems.  That was the
> quickest answer to a prayer I've seen.
>
> Ronnie & Renae

Now, before it does decide to quit in traffic, crawl under and check the
tightness of the connections on your starter and battery. Mainly the big
post on the starter solenoid.

My '74 would do that every once in a while. One day on the way to work it
quit completely. Tugging on the battery positive cable got it going again,
for a little while. That last 20 miles was a bear <grin>.

When I figured out what it was it was too late. The bakelite endcap on the
solenoid cracked into pieces when I tried to tighten the connection up. It
had been made brittle by the constant heat and sparking from the loose
connection.

Gerald