[tcb] Re: Murray lives!

  • From: wuzmop@xxxxxxx
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 10:16:57 -0400

Good stuff!

-----Original Message-----
From: Denis Dodson <coocoo@xxxxxxx>
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tue, Jun 7, 2011 9:03 am
Subject: [tcb] Murray lives!

So, Friday Derrick and Danny, and I, mostly standing with my tool in my hand,
installed a new 412 transmission. Danny could not let Murray go without
rebuilding the brakes, he got all bent about the backing plate being bent and
he changed it (not many places where you can go out into the yard and get a
real German backing plate in just a few minutes) and the day ended with my
filthy engine still on the ground.

We put it in the back of my pickup and I brought it home and spent the weekend
cleaning and painting all the tin and replacing the plastic part that the fuel
pump sits on. It had a crack and I hope that was the oil leak that I have been
looking for.

So Monday Danny did even more work on the brakes (the adjusting stars were not
working, and a bunch of stuff where I didn’t know was wrong and Danny was just
mumbling things I didn’t want to hear), and he adjusted the carb linkage, we
put the engine in. I connected all the wires (by the way, if you disconnect the
big black battery next to the engine, you also need to disconnect the big
orange accessory battery that you bought from Gerald because you will still be
getting sparking and won’t know why for a while).

After I tried to start Murray up, and then remembered the vice grip on the fuel
line and took it off, then started him up he roared to life and had a
successful test drive. I put him on his trailer and blew a tire on the way
home. Somebody coming at me on the very narrow road forced the trailer wheel
into some rocks at the side of the road and bent the rim. Derrick came and we
took the wheel to “Dave’s”, a shop that was closed, but “Dave” was sitting in
his front yard drinking beer, and he got up and took a BIG ASS HAMMER and fixed
the bent rim good as new, filled the tire, checked for leaks, took $10 bucks,
and I was back on the road.

At home I took Murray off his trailer and took him out for a beer run. Like a
Swiss watch.

There was no money in this whole repair deal. I traded a tow dolly that I never
used for a transmission and help installing it. What I received was a complete
mechanical going through, front to back, way beyond the agreement. Murray is in
as good a shape as he may have ever been. What a deal! Yea for Wayout!