[tcb] Re: Main Shaft

  • From: "Fred McDonald" <texasbluebus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 22:42:20 -0500

Thanks for the reply,
My brother is a very good mechanic but not a VW mechanic; I'm not a mechanic
but I have owned several VWs in my time and have some (not a lot) experience
with the quirkiness of the breed. He was very concerned that the shaft was a
little lose, he said "If this was a ford Transmission I'd be very worried
and would recommend we fix this." I told him that it has always been this
way, even before it had been rebuilt and as far back as I could remember my
past VWs were the same. I told him just to be safe that I would ask the
group.

On another subject,
In order to replace the main shaft oil seal we had to remove the throw-out
bearing. The spring clips that hold the bearing in place had a fine piece of
wire strapping them to the throw-out bearing leaver. Is this necessary, just
good practice, wouldn't bother? I'm not sure but I think Lyle Cherry did
this when he rebuilt my engine.