[tcb] Re: Long trip report

  • From: Neil McGlothin <nbmdude@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 13:35:58 -0700 (PDT)

Uhhh, I'll pass on the bottle rockets, heh, heh, heh!
But I'd love to come visit some weekend with my lovely
wife (whom NO ONE has ever seen)...I showed her the
pictures taken during Psyco-Billie 1, she loved the
view of the lake from the front porche (tryin' to
maintain the automotive theme)!
Denis, we all REALLY enjoyed your company, too!  One
of the coolest hippies I've ran across!
I agree with ya, it was the BEST vw weekend I've spent
in, well, ever!
Greatest bunch of folks I've ever had the pleasure of
campin' with!
Neil
--- Denis Dodson <coocoo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I want to put this in the start of my report in case
> it might be missed at the end. I had the best VW
> experience of my life. We all have these cars, and
> they are great, but the people with the cars are the
> best part. To be freaked and stranded and to be
> taken in, fed, made warm, given a great place to
> sleep, gotten drunk and made to laugh, and then to
> have my bus fixed well and for free was
> unbelievable. I had a great time Saturday, and I
> didn't even have a car in the show. Thank you all
> from the bottom of my hippy heart. And whatever
> reward Paul receives for putting on the best weekend
> of the year cannot be enough. He is an exceptional
> person, but then you all are.
> I left Temple and went to Dallas, checked in to a
> Radisson, took showers, soaked in the hot tub, ate
> room service and slept for about 10 hours. Monday I
> got my MP3 fixed, bought another cool toolbox from
> Home Depot to replace the one that I gave Bob, found
> a replacement antenna for my Sirius radio, bought
> exotic food (none of which I can do in Fayetteville)
> and drove to my Sister's house in Athens. On the
> electric gremlins re-appeared and in the 2 hour
> drive from Dallas I had lost my turn signals, radio
> and brake lights. My brother in law, Chuck, worked
> for VW for about a million years and is a Godsend at
> electrical crap. We worked on the wiring for a
> couple of hours and we quit for the night thinking
> we had gotten everything working. But Tuesday
> morning I had no brake lights or turn signals again.
>

> Chuck knocked off work and we finally did surgery
> and took out and replaced all the wiring that showed
> signs of heat and strung a new wire from the
> Ignition switch to the coil. I left Athens about
> 2:30 and drove up HWY19 through Cooper, but nobody
> ran out to take my picture. I arrived in MacAlister
> at 6PM with no turn signals, but it turned out that
> I did, I just had to jiggle the indicator light in
> the speedometer. I got a room, ate Chinese food and
> crashed.
>
> This morning I was up and out by 6:30AM. Coffee and
> a box of doughnuts. All systems were go and I pulled
> up at home at about 11:00AM.
>
> My GPS says I averaged 67 MPH. My temp gauge never
> read over about 210 and I took three tanks of gas.
>
> I got out of the cab and my builders asked me where
> to set the central heat and air unit and I had to
> immediately give my dog a bath because she had
> rolled in cow shit. It's like I never went away.
>
> Things I learned:
>
> Dan not only gets cranky if you don't feed him
> quickly, he also doesn't like you to sit too close
>
> Neal should blow up a Zales
>
> Steve baby-sits Chinese people for a living and
> Sharon has so many trophies she won't even get up to
> receive them any more
>
> Mark cooks killer ribs
>
> Joe has no luck with any of his vehicles
>
> Katrina can wear a tie-dyed suit and look good. No
> one else can.

> [...]

=====
"The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If
you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've
never seen anybody really find the answer-- they think they have, so they stop
thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in
which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater
than the need for an answer."

-- Ken Kesey

http://mail.yahoo.com