[tcb] Fun with Chuck and Sue!

  • From: Dan Martin <danandkatrinamartin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 11:26:59 -0600

And Andrew, Steve, Sharon and Sammy.
We had a uneventful and COLD ride up to Athens friday night.
Visited with Andrew, Denis and Chuck and Sue for a couple hours, surveyed the damage to Murry and went to bed. The electric blanket worked good all night, thanks for the handy electric hook up Chuck. Saturday morning Denis made us breakfast, Steve and Sharon showed up, and we went to work. Swapped the axles from the old gearbox to the new, sounds easy, is a whole nuther story......... Sammy showed up took a look around and left to go to Longview to have the nosecone repaired properly. While that is going on in the foreground, I am pulling the heads off Chucks longblock to check the size of the bore, in the background. We discovered a stock bore and stoke pretty nice looking used motor, cleaned up the the block and heads and got started putting it back together. Chuck still has some stuff to do, sorry we could not finish up. The car is not completely finished and he needed to get some more chrome, so he seemed OK with not finishing it off. Sammy made record time to Longview and back, but we still managed to eat some killer BBQ while he was gone. When he returned we installed the nosecone, Steve left, stuffed the transmission, Sammy left, hooked up the spring plates, got cold and went in the house watched some TV and went to bed. Got up sunday morning, Denis made some great sourdough pancakes with Chucks 20 year (or more) old starter. They were really, really good, I ate a few too many, but they kept saying the dogs would get them if I did not eat them all. So I did. Andrew cleaned up the mess for us. We made Murry a roller, pushed him back on the trailer and headed home. We made good time and got home after the Texans managed to loose to the QB we should be starting, with no problems. A BIG Thank You to everybody that helped, we had a BLAST!

Dan & Katrina Martin
1971 VW Bus
H.B.B.
T.C.B.