[tcb] Does Anybody Know How to Fix a Leaky Westfalia Water Tank?

  • From: kelly dosch <kellydosch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 20:00:57 -0800 (PST)

  I should have known I was in trouble when I saw the failed attempts from the
previous owner.
  The bottom of the tank has two threaded holes. Into one screws the pump, into
the other screws the drain petcock.
  They are both cracked. If I had to guess, somebody let it freeze with water
in it.
  Well I got up under there and coated it with Plumber's Goop. (awesome stuff!)
But it didn't work.
  So I had to actually cut the tank out of the cabinet with a saw. I unscrewed
the pump and petcock, then screwed them back in with fresh plumbing tape, then
slathered the whole mess with half a tube of Plumber's Goop. I checked it for
leaks. Nothing. I put it back in and rebuilt the cabinet.
  Naturally, it still leaks.
  The problem, I believe, is this-  The tank is made of a slippery
petro-chemical plastic that nothing sticks to. The surface, even when clean and
dry, always has an oily slippy feel to it.
  I am usually really good at fixing things like this and if Plumber's Goop
wont do it I am at a complete loss as to what to do.
  Epoxy won't even stick to it, due to it's oily slippy nature.
  It's just two tiny cracks! How can I seal this bitch?
  Any thoughts?
  I guess I'll try looking for another tank, but I'm not holding my breath for
one of those to pop up! .