[tcb] Re: Blah, Monday

  • From: sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 13:19:50 -0800 (PST)

Darn Denis, I didn't sick or anything!  Did I miss something?  And the reason
you didn't get through with the bus at Chuck's is that you guys kept stopping
to eat.  Don't you know that when you are working on a VW that it takes
priority over everything, including eating.  And yes, even that other thing now
that I think about it.
  Denis Dodson <coocoo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
          The big workathon the weekend before last didn't work out as well as
we had hoped, mainly because when Chuck, Andrew and I pulled out my
fourth-gearless transaxle and took off the axle tubes and the axles we found
big damage to the fulcrum cup and plates and one axle. I called a place in
Dallas called Pistons and Plugs, which is kind of a junk yard of used parts who
said that I could buy a tranny core with good fulcrum cups, plates, and axles.
The problem was that they are in Mesquite TX and I am in Athens TX, about 1 1/2
hours apart at 4:30 Friday evening. Andrew and I dashed to my truck and did at
least 80 and got there just a little past 6.

  When we got back to Athens we met Dan and Kat at the Jack in the Box and we
all enjoyed our gourmet meal. Andrew was excited because they don't have Jack
in the Boxes in Poteau.

  So, the Friday workday was brought to an early end.

  Saturday, Steve and Sharon showed up and he got at the tranny right away. It
turns out that I was the only one who had actually worked with the fulcrum cups
and plates, and that was 8 years earlier, so I was not a great deal of help.
Andrew and Steve were very hands-on.

  Dan was working on Chuck's motor and it turned out to be stock but with a
genuine Berg oil pump! Oooooh! Then they put it all back together with new
chrome tin.

  We were doing pretty good on the tranny and then Sammy showed up and told us
"that" was wrong and "that" was wrong and "that" won't work and we were, like,
Hey, Sammy, I think I hear your phone ringing at your house. Then he started
telling us about the nosecone and bushing weren't right and the hockey stick
was bent, and we kinda knew that, but had lined up some three stooges
technology that we were going to apply. So, Sammy gets on the phone to his good
friends at Oak Hill Automotive and says that he is going there to fix all of
our problems. Well, that is a three hour round trip, but if he wants to do this
correctly, who am I to stop him?

  So, then we ate a big brisket lunch and took naps and played cards until he
came back and then acted all busy and smeared grease on so he wouldn't know.

  But he had done a bunch of work on the nosecone, new bushings and it was a
really good job and right away he got under the bus and worked his ass off. He
really knows his stuff. And then he had to go home, 90 miles, without getting
to sit down and shooting the bull for the evening. He didn't just talk the
talk, he walked the walk. Everybody there, except me, contributed immensely,
but I gotta say, Sammy was the hero of the project.

  Sunday morning came and we had to give up on getting the engine back in. I
had put in the wheel seals and had put the friggin' backing plates on the wrong
sides and one of the seals was already leaking. Damn, Sammy would not have let
that happen, but he wasn't there, the slacker! We pushed Murray onto the
trailer and wrapped up the engine and put it on the trailer behind the bus.

   Murray is finally in my shop on the lift. Some of the VW club up here helped
me get it off the trailer. The whole time they were, "Why didn't you put the
engine back in? Why don't you hook up the brakes? Where's your reduction boxes?"

  Chuck came home from work sick on Monday and had to go to the doctor with an
early case of pneumonia, and Dan has spent all last week very sick. He also has
a pimple on the inside of his leg that rubs when he walks and he also broke a
nail. Andrew's aunt passed away. Probably, there are other bad things happening
to the people who were there that weekend. Maybe it's like King Tut's Curse or
something. Ooooooh!