[tcb] Re: Beam?

  • From: sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 08:58:30 -0700 (PDT)

Denis:  Have heard of bad torsions but never seen one.  Also, should weaken on
both sides, not just one.  First question I would ask is: How did you lower the
front in the first place?  Also, it's easier to replace the torsion than the
entire front beam.  It's kind of hard making a diagnoses without seeing the
problem.  Check the angle of the trailing arms.  Do you have more twist on the
right side than the left in the torsion springs?  Shocks should not make a
difference, but if you want to see, take them off on both sides then remeasure.

Denis Dodson <coocoo@xxxxxxx> wrote:          Boy. if you don't want a response
to your E-mail, send it on Sunday when everybody is away from their computers
having real lives, enjoying the day.

  Yesterday I wrote a message about my tire on the passenger side rubbing and I
have measured from the floor to the beam and it is a full 1 1/2" lower on the
passenger side. the shock is fairly new.

  The only thing my experts and I can come up with is that the torsion bar
inside the beam is no good.

  Now, the question is: is it at all easy to replace the torsion bar or should
I just replace the whole beam?

  The beam seems to be held on with only a few big nuts and the Pitman arm. I
am not looking at the beam as I write this, but removing the beam seems pretty
much easy and straightforward. am I missing anything?