[tcb] Re: '56 bus

  • From: sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 20:08:50 -0700 (PDT)

Hey Denis:  I know how to convert a tractor to 8 volts.  I grew up on a farm.
For an address I'll deliver the info to them in person.  Or you can just do it.
 You remove the 6V battery and you insert the 8V battery.  The extra 2V aren't
enough to hurt anything, the 6V generator will keep it charged, the 6V starter
will run a little faster and make the tractor start easier, and if it has
lights, doubtful on an old 6V farm tractor, they will just burn a little
brighter and probably burn out after about 5 years of infrequent use.  That's
what we used to do on the farm.  Cept most of our tractors didn't even have
batteries.  Magnetos and arm cranking.  These guys don't even sound up to speed
for Arkansas hillbillies are they would have known that.  Or maybe they were
just really pulling your leg.

Conrad Klahn <conradk@xxxxxxx> wrote:    If I were you, I'd find as much info
on the 6 to 8 volt conversion you can and drop it by with your name and number
on it.

  On Mar 27, 2008, at 8:44 PM, Denis Dodson wrote:
      So, I took Murray and went to Sam's Club to get huge bags of grass seed
for the Psycobilly parking/camping area. As I am coming out, one of the two
super old guys who check your receipt to make sure that you don't have a 60"
plasma under the tomatoes says, "Are you a mechanic?"

  I'm thinking, what about me would provoke such a question, and I say, "Why?"
He says, "We are trying to figure out how to convert a 1950 tractor from 6 volt
to 8". Putting aside the fact that I have never heard of 8 volt anything, I
suggested that there were probably about a million antique tractor guys on the
internet. They both looked at me as if I had spoken Navajo. I said go to a
library and they would do the search for him.

  I loaded up Murray and as I was leaving the parking lot I drove by the door
and one of the guys waves at me to stop. I do. He says, "I have one of these".
I say really? "Yeah, It's older though, and not as nice."

  He tells me that it is a '56. I asked him if it has an overhang over the
windshield. "No, and it also has a bigger door in the back, over the engine
door. It has a little bitty engine".

  Of course, my next question was, "Wanna sell it?"

  "No."

  I know his name and I know where he works. If I can find out where he lives
and where his bus is. I might have to kill him.