[tabi] a competitor product to KNFB reader

  • From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 13:41:47 -0400

I got the below message from a blind technology mailing list.  it
appears to require that the phone have a working cell connection when it
does it's OCR work, and so I guess it wouldn't work in a building or
where-ever there wasn't cell service:

Hi all, I've been tweeting about this today but for those of you not
following me on Twitter, thought I would post this here.
I'm at Sight Village at the moment and have just seen a competitor to
the
KNFB Reader. It seems to support more phones, because while it needs
a 5
MP
camera, it appears not to require Xenon Flash. The application is
called
Text Scout. When you are lining up the camera, you get audible
feedback
that
helps you understand when the picture is right in the view, then the
picture
is taken automatically. The image is uploaded to a server for
processing,
then it starts to read.
Because the OCR is server based, you can opt to keep a copy of all
your
documents on the server for later reference. It can save copies in
Word
and
other formats, and send them to you via e-mail. It does some degree
of
hypertexting, for example you can set bookmarks in documents for easy
navigation.
The camera requires polarisers like KNFB Reader, however, shortly,
they
will
be offering a 14 day demo.
Info at: