[tabi] Fw: [fcb-l] Android for the blind versus iPhone.

  • From: "Easy Talk" <Easytalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2013 11:57:55 -0500

Thought some might be interested.

Robert

----- Original Message -----
From: Easy Talk
To: fcb-l@xxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, January 05, 2013 11:56 AM
Subject: Fw: [fcb-l] Android for the blind versus iPhone.

----- Original Message -----
From: Easy Talk
To: Mostafa ; "Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@mail2.acb.org
Sent: Saturday, January 05, 2013 10:44 AM
Subject: Re: [fcb-l] Android for the blind versus iPhone.

Hi Mostafa,

Hopefully this info will help you make the best decision for your needs and
want spark a debate between which phone is best apple or android.  How ever
when I am done you will certainly know which camp I am from.

First of all the Iphones lock you in to not much choice of the hardware,
operating system and phone carrier you will use. There are many manufactures of
smart phones that run various versions of android and offer a wide variety of
hardware options.  Iphones use the Arm processors where as android phones use
qualcom snap dragon and Nvidia Tegra processors which are faster than Arm
processors.  Iphones are limited in the quality of the cameras where as the
android phones give you a wider range and this is very important if you plan to
use your phone with camera intensive apps.  For example, there is a OCR app
called scan thing that is accessible but requires at least a 5 MP camera and
does even better with a 8 MP camera.

The Ios system is a closed operating system which means you only get what Apple
wants you to have where as the android OS is Open Source which means third
party developers can customize the operating system and add features that may
not be in the original os. The down side of this is that some third party
developers may add features that aren't accessible to blind users.  In most
cases when this happens, you can usually find an app that can replace the
offending app and get around the problem.  For example I have a HTC One s and
the custom internet and contact manager wasn't accessible.  I installed Fire
Fox and a program called Acontact which are both accessible.

The choice of hardware is also important.  Here are some reasons.  Many of the
android phones have what are called composite buttons meaning they are physical
buttons usually located at the bottom of the screen and are always there no
matter what you are doing on the phone.  Generally they are back, home and
recent apps. You can not physically tell they are there tactilely and they
generally don't speak, but if the hardware in your phone supports Haptic
vibration, then as you move your finger over one of them, you will fill a short
vibration.  Also many of the android phones use what is called a proximity
sensor and android uses this feature to stop speech.  Many Android apps also
use this feature for various things such as shaking the phone to answer a
incoming call or placing the phone in a certain position to activate the
speaker phone.
 With android phones you also have different screen sizes and are generally
larger than those found on the Iphones.  This means you have more screen
relistate so items are easier to manage especially if you have large hands and
fingers.

I find the user interface on Android to be simpler and easier to use than the
Iphones.  This varies depending on which
Android Os you are using.  Currently the two current systems in use are Ice
Cream Sandwich and Jelly bean.  With ICS, basically you slide your finger to
the item of interest and tap once on that item.  To scroll, you use two fingers
slightly spread to slide up or down the screen.  You use two fingers to slide
to the right or left to change screens.  A tap and hold brings up the context
menu for a particular item.  Things get a little more complicated in Jelly Bean
since a host of new features were added for accessibility in Talk Back the
stock screen reader that comes with Android.  All the new Gestures are called
angle gestures. There are 16 combinations.  Not all angle jestures are assigned
to actions so you can assign the unused ones to meet  your needs.  Angle
gestures mean you might slide your finger down and to the right which takes you
to the home screen.  Others are slide your finger up and right, finger up and
left ect.  To me that is easier than trying to remember if you use 1, 2, 3, or
four fingers to tap, slide up, slide down, slide left or right and oh yes do I
tap 1, 2, or 3 times as with the Iphones.

Now let's look at accessibility.  Both have built in screen readers and have
established guide lines to make apps accessible.  Most certainly the Apple
products were the first and most likely that is why you see more blind people
with Iphones.  In the last year and a half Android has made leaps and bounds in
accessibility. Siri was the new rave on the Iphones but with Jelly Bean it may
have to take a back seet to Google Now voice actions.  Peoples opinions will
vary as to which is best but unless things have changed Siri requires you to
have a internet connection in order to work but Android Voice actions can
search your phone with out a internet connection.  Android also has a feature
called the notification bar that gives you information from various apps
installed on the phone even when the screen is turned off.  You can determine
which notifications you want to hear.  For example I use Cnn news and when
there is a braking story I am told immediately.  Some other things you can be
notified about are weather and the arrival of new mail. With Jelly Bean both
now offer Braille support.

Another important factor is the phone provider you want to use.  With Iphones
it's ATnT or Verizon
 unless you purchase an unlocked phone from apple which you will pay a premium
for. Most phone providers offer Android phones with a range of hardware options
and if you are renewing your contract, you can get one much less expensive than
a Iphones.  Some of the pay as you go providers even offer lower end android
phones that are accessible. Some of the popular Android phones used by blind
people are the Samsung Galaxy S3 from Verizon and ATnT which are locked and the
Nexus 4 which is a vanilla unlocked android phone and can only be purchased
from Google.  The nexus 4 is most likely the most accessible Android phone and
can be used on any phone network right out of the box.  Since it is a Google
product, it will get new system updates much faster than phones that depend on
the provider to push the upgrades.  However it isn't the best hardware
configuration.  The Samsung and HTC models currently offer the fastest
processors and highest resolution cameras.  Most Android phones from phone
providers haven't been upgraded to Jelly Bean yet but should be upgraded soon.
I am pretty sure the Samsung s3 from ATnT has been updated to Jelly Bean.

Here is a list of accessible android apps and descriptions.
Darwin Wallet currency identifier
The Voice of Android, GPS tracking, color identifier, Light detection.
Eyes free keyboard accessible keyboard for Ice Cream Sandwich only. not needed
by jelly Bean
Eyes Free Shell, can replace the home screen for phones that don't have
accessible home screens.
Fire Fox, internet browser
K-nine mail, email
Acontact, contact manager
CNN news
Etrade, stock tracking
Bank of America, banking app.
Jeanie, $1.94  Voice search, best for ICS not needed for Jelly Bean.
Scanthing $5.12 OCR, uses dedicated server for recognition takes about 15
seconds for results. need at least a 5 MP camera.
Google Goggles, takes picture and gives description.

Most of the apps on my HTC One S were accessible out of the box such as Google
Maps, My location, FM radio, and music player.
Hope this helps you choose Android,!!!!smile
Robert