[swn] Schemer's Gazette 5

  • From: MJ Ray <mjr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <swn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 10:01:34 +0000

Subject: Compiler messages

I think this is another nice bundle, mostly edited down from things
emailed to me. (Please, 19 lines of 75 chars or it gets boiled down
- hope that's OK.) I'm looking forward to trying out guile-dbi and
the sxml-match, myself. It's good to see such interesting code being
written. Keep up the good ork! -- MJR  http://mjr.towers.org.uk/

In this edition:
- sxml-match, a pattern matcher for SXML
- SDOM project development release 0.1.2 announcement
- New guile-dbi release
- write-up on hygienic macros implementation in Kawa
- GScheme is back (VI).
- SRFI 65: define-immutable: A Syntax to Define Identifiers With
- SRFI 66: Byte Vectors
- Final SRFI 57: Records
- Final SRFI 58: Array Notation
- Final SRFI 59: Vicinity
- Final SRFI 60: Integers as Bits

-------
Subject: sxml-match, a pattern matcher for SXML
From: Jim Bender <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 01:40:19 -0600

sxml-match provides pattern matching "by example" for SXML:
    http://celtic.benderweb.net/sxml-match/

The following example provides a brief illustration, transforming an
music album catalog language into HTML.
   (define (album->html x)
     (sxml-match x
       [(album (@ (title ,t)) (catalog (num ,n) (fmt ,f)) ...)
        `(ul (li ,t)
             (li (b ,n) (i ,f)) ...)]))

sxml-match is based directly on the pattern matcher in WebIt! 2.0, but
is standalone, and uses the standard SXML notation for attributes,
rather than WebIt!'s keywords.

A manual for sxml-match is available on the web site:
    http://celtic.benderweb.net/sxml-match/manual/

The implementation is supported under PLT Scheme, (Petite) Chez Scheme
and SISC.

-------
Subject: SDOM project development release 0.1.2 announcement
From: Julian Graham <joolean@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 08:02:05 -0500

I'm pleased to announce that the SDOM project has released version
0.1.2, our second development release.  This version features a number
of additions to the test suite and fixes and improvements in
functionality too various to list; the NEWS file in the distribution
has more specific details. [...]

SDOM is an attempt to provide a complete implementation of the W3C
Document Object Model Level 3 specification, including event handling,
in Scheme, as an extension of Oleg Kiselyov's SXML system.  At the
moment, SDOM is been developed in (and has only been tested on) GNU
Guile, but could certainly be ported to any interpreter platform on
which SXML runs.

For more information, swing by http://www.nongnu.org/sdom or check out
our project page on Savannah, at
http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/sdom -- you can pick up the
release from the downloads section.

-------
Subject: New guile-dbi release
From: <baux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 12:42:22 +0100

Hi all,
   new guile dbi (plus mysql and postgresql dbd) stable release
is available.

Changes in Guile DBI 1.0.2:

* Implement test framework using greg.
* Fix double close bug introducing a boolean field in db handler
  struct.

comments and suggestions are always welcomed.

-------
Subject: write-up on hygienic macros implementation in Kawa
From: Per Bothner <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 22:19:59 GMT

I recently worked on some bugs in Kawa's handling of macro hygiene,
and while it was fresh in my mind I decided to update the relevant
section of the Kawa "Internals" document:
http://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/internals/semantic-analysis.html
Especially this new section:
http://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/internals/semantic-analysis.html#macro-hygiene
I hope this is a readable and interesting explanation of one way to
implement hygienic macros, including syntax-case.  The implementation
is very different from Dybvig's portable "syntax.ss".  (Of course it
is superficially different because it is written in Java, but it's
very different at a more abstract level too.)

(The rest of the internals manual is not necessarily up-to-date.)
         --Per Bothner

-------
Subject: GScheme is back (VI).
From: mriedel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Marko Riedel)
Date: 03 Mar 2005 22:16:43 +0100

I made another release of GScheme. It contains some rather significant
changes. I completely removed the dependency on the GSIMap.h
internals, changing Environments to use NSMapTables and using a
malloced array in ByteCodes.

I tested GScheme with gnustep-startup-0.9.2 on Ubuntu and it compiles
and runs correctly. This extends the number of linux flavors where
I've tested the software.

The bug in NSTableView that crashes Environment browsers when you
click on empty rows is still there (startup 0.9.2.). I'd be grateful
if Fred Kiefer would look into this.

I added an example: "qsort1.scm" computes the quicksort histogram, but
it uses numbers in the factorial number system to enumerate
permutations.

The URL is http://www.gnustep.it/marko/GScheme/index.html

-------
Subject: SRFI 65: define-immutable: A Syntax to Define Identifiers With
From: srfi-editors@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 20:08:30 +0100

This announces the availability for discussion of
Scheme Request for Implementation 65
"define-immutable: A Syntax to Define Identifiers With Immutable Values"
by Andrew Wilcox.

Its draft and an archive of the ongoing discussion is available at
http://srfi.schemers.org/srfi-65/

-------
Subject: SRFI 66: Byte Vectors
From: David Van Horn <dvanhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 12:53:33 -0500

This announces the availability for discussion of
Scheme Request for Implementation 66
"Byte Vectors" by Michael Sperber.

Its draft and an archive of the ongoing discussion is available at
http://srfi.schemers.org/srfi-66/

You can join the discussion of the draft by sending an email message
with a "subscribe" subject line to srfi-66-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

-------
Subject: Final SRFI 57: Records
From: David Van Horn <dvanhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 18:15:41 -0500

This announces that Scheme Request for Implementation 57
"Records" by André van Tonder.
has gone into ``final'' status.

The document and an archive of the discussion is available at
http://srfi.schemers.org/srfi-57/

-------
Subject: Final SRFI 58: Array Notation
From: David Van Horn <dvanhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 01:13:53 -0500

This announces that Scheme Request for Implementation 58
"Array Notation" by Aubrey Jaffer.

http://srfi.schemers.org/srfi-58/

-------
Subject: Final SRFI 59: Vicinity
From: David Van Horn <dvanhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 01:14:40 -0500

This announces that Scheme Request for Implementation 59
"Vicinity" by Aubrey Jaffer.

http://srfi.schemers.org/srfi-59/

-------
Subject: Final SRFI 60: Integers as Bits
From: David Van Horn <dvanhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 01:15:24 -0500

This announces that Scheme Request for Implementation 60
"Integers as Bits" by Aubrey Jaffer.

http://srfi.schemers.org/srfi-60/