[swn] Schemer's Gazette 1

  • From: MJ Ray <mjr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: swn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 21:41:26 +0100

Welcome to a Schemer's Gazette.

Table of contents for this edition:

- Notes from the editor; SWN -> SG
- SISC 1.8.8 Released
- Summer School on Garbage Collection & Memory Management
- v5.0 of SSAX.scm
- WebIt! build 20040502 and new docs
- KANREN a declarative logic programming system, embedded in a pure functional
subset of Scheme
- HtmlPrag 0.11
- PLT Scheme 207 available
- ANN: Chicken 1.50 - the Scheme world will never be the same.
- Release of scx 0.2 and Orion 0.2
- SYNTAX-RULES primer for the merely eccentric
- SRFI 56: require-extension
- SRFI 55: require-extension
- Final SRFI 51: Handling rest list
- Final SRFI 54: Formatting
- ICFP Accepted Papers
- Third International Symposium on Formal Methods for Components and Objects
(FMCO 2004)
- Scheme quick tutorial (1)
- Scheme quick tutorial (2)
- Lisp/Scheme workshop slides online
- Scheme 48 release 1.1
- ICLP04 : Detailed program / Extended early registration deadline
- New URL: mod_scheme
- Gauche-gtk 0.4.1
- quack.el 0.25

Submitted-By: MJ Ray <mjr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Notes from the editor; SWN -> SG
Date: 2004-07-13T21:00:00

It's been too long, hasn't it? You subscribed to a list called swn,
supposedly for Scheme Weekly News, and lately it's just gone completely
AWOL. Well, this was the combination of a few problems which I won't
dwell on, but I'm moving to make my writing more manageable.

As of this edition, this publication is called Schemer's Gazette. Yes,
I'm giving up any hope of publishing this every week. Some weeks, there
just isn't enough news sent in or picked up by my scanners, and some weeks
events combine and I don't have time to work on this free publication.
The mailing list and web addresses will remain the same, but I'm just
going to call it a different name from now on.

Those of you who want to get the news faster can add the file
http://mjr.towers.org.uk/blog/scheme.rss to your RSS-readers to get the
latest release and conference announcements. That will be updated as
soon as I can, but extra stuff may appear in the email edition.

I also want to include short notes into the gazette. The limit is 19
lines of 74. Please email them, as well as emailing news and URLs.

Submitted-By: "Scott G. Miller" <scgmille@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: SISC 1.8.8 Released
Date: 2004-04-12T15:46:30Z

SISC is an extensible heap-based interpreter of Scheme running on
the Java VM.
This is a maintenance release, fixing:
  * Remove accidental dependencies on Java 1.4.
  * Fixed bugs in the implementations of SRFIs 13, 18, and 19.
  * Fixed problems when calling SISC from Java when SISC is in
    strict R5RS compliance mode.
  * Fixed a space leak in the value serialization.
  * Deserialization now constant rather than linear in memory usage.
  * Fixed minor error handling and inexactness contagion bugs in the
    numeric library.
  * Failure continuations weren't wind safe, fixed.
  * Bug fixes in a few primitive functions.
  * Fixed a copy-propogation bug in the optimizer.
  * Workaround for a bug in the IBM JVM v1.3 in numeric parsing.

Submitted-By: Richard Jones <R.E.Jones@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Summer School on Garbage Collection & Memory Management
Date: 29 Apr 2004 12:02:13 -0400

                Garbage Collection & Memory Management
                            Summer School
                    20-21 July 2004, Canterbury, UK

The Summer Schoool provides participants with an opportunity to hear
leading practitioners from both industry and universities. The school
is directed at postgraduate research students, academics who wish to
get involved in this field and industrial researchers and developers
who want to apply state of the art memory management techniques to real
problems.

Submitted-By: oleg@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: v5.0 of SSAX.scm
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 17:35:36 -0700 (PDT)

Version 5.0 of SSAX.scm is the first version of SSAX.scm that should
run on any R5RS Scheme platform. There are no interface changes
compared to the previous version, v4.11. Therefore, no existing code
(on a R5RS-compliant system) should require any modifications.

Submitted-By: "Jim Bender" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: WebIt! build 20040502 and new docs
Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 04:36:37 GMT

WebIt! features an embedding of XML/HTML in Scheme ("RS-XML"), and an
embedding of CSS, and a system for transforming XML, based on a
by-example style reminiscent of Scheme's syntax-case macros.

Two add on packages provide a version of Oleg and Kirill's SXPath library
for use with WebIt!'s XML structures, and an instantiation of the SSAX
parser which produces WebIt! XML structures (instead of SXML).

Build 20040502 is primarily a minor bug fix release. However, the parser
package ("ssax-rsxml") now includes a few examples of transforming
"parsed XML" using WebIt!.

WebIt! requires PLT Scheme v202 or later.

Finally, a new(ish) overview document describing WebIt! has been added
to the web site.

Submitted-By: I R T <rambam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: KANREN a declarative logic programming system, embedded in a pure
functional subset of Scheme
Date: 2004-05-09T00:41:09

I saw a link to this on Lambda the ultimate.
This may be of interest since Daniel Friedman is one of the deveopers.

http://kanren.sourceforge.net/
"KANREN is a declarative logic programming system with first-class relations,
embedded in a pure functional subset of Scheme.
[...]
KANREN works on any computer platform for which a Scheme implementation
exists.

Submitted-By: "Neil W. Van Dyke" <neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: HtmlPrag 0.11
Date: 2004-05-14T02:04:31

In addition to the portable "htmlprag.scm" file and the PLT packaging,
packagings for Bigloo, Chicken (untested), Gauche, and Guile are also
now supported.
I have to apologize for all the API churn lately.

Submitted-By: Eli Barzilay <eli@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: PLT Scheme 207 available
Date: 2004-05-19T04:10:40

This version adds new collections, while work is going on for v300: PLoT,
FrTime (Father Time), a new web server manual,
revised draw.ss teachpack, ProfessorJ.

Submitted-By: felix <felix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: ANN: Chicken 1.50 - the Scheme world will never be the same.
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 23:39:04 +0200

Things changed since the last release (1.33):
- many bugfixes
- some error-messages have been improved slightly
- chicken-entry-points.scm: the new `define-embedded' macro makes it much
simpler to create
   named entry points into a compiled Scheme library
- some include files have been renamed for more consistency
[...]

Submitted-By: Martin Gasbichler <gasbichl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Release of scx 0.2 and Orion 0.2
Date: 2004-05-24T11:55:00

Scx is an interface to Xlib for the Scheme implementation scsh.
Orion is a window manager for the X11 windowing system. Orion is
written in Scheme and accesses Xlib via the scx library for scsh.

Starting with this release, scx gets installed as a library using the
scsh packaging proposal. This greatly simplifies the installation
process. Orion 0.2 comes with some more advanced features such as
support for full-screen windows and partial support for motif
hints. In addition, several bugs have been fixed.

Submitted-By: Joe Marshall <jrm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: SYNTAX-RULES primer for the merely eccentric
Date: 2004-05-24T17:57:59

I decided to really learn how to program SYNTAX-RULES macros.  It was
easy to find both simple examples and incredibly complex examples of
SYNTAX-RULES, but not so easy to find intermediate examples.  I also
discovered that `style guides' are underrepresented.  So I wrote one.

It is still in the editing phase, but comments are welcome.

Submitted-By: MJ Ray <mjr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: SRFI 56: require-extension
Date: 2004-07-13T21:00:00

This announces the availability for discussion of
Scheme Request for Implementation 56
"Binary I/O"
by Alex Shinn

Its draft and an archive of the ongoing discussion is available.

Submitted-By: srfi-editors@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: SRFI 55: require-extension
Date: Sun,  6 Jun 2004 16:05:43 +0200 (DFT)

This announces the availability for discussion of
Scheme Request for Implementation 55
"require-extension"
by Felix L. Winkelmann and D.C. Frost.

Subject: Final SRFI 51: Handling rest list
Date: 2004-06-06T18:30

Scheme Request for Implementation 51
"Handling rest list"
by Joo ChurlSoo.
has gone into ``final'' status.

Submitted-By: MJ Ray <mjr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Final SRFI 54: Formatting
Date: 2004-07-13T21:00:00

Scheme Request for Implementation 54
"Formatting"
by Joo ChurlSoo.
has gone into ``final'' status.

Submitted-By: MJ Ray <mjr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: ICFP Accepted Papers
Date: 2004-06-18 20:09:10

ICFP 2004 have announced their accepted papers and invited talks from
Paul Graham, John Launchbury and Ulf Wiger. Final programme will be
available from mid-July.

Submitted-By: M.M.  Bonsangue <marcello@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Third International Symposium on Formal Methods for Components and
Objects (FMCO 2004)
Date: 2004-06-22T12:00:46

The objective of  this symposium is to bring  together top researchers
in the  area of software  engineering to discuss  the state-of-the-art
and future applications of formal  methods in the development of large
component-based and object-oriented software systems.

2 - 5 November 2004, Lorentz Center, Leiden University, Leiden, The Netherlands

Early registration fee applies for registration before 20/09/2004 !!!
Participation  is limited  to about  80  people, based  on a  first-in
first-served  policy.

Submitted-By: MJ Ray <mjr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Scheme quick tutorial (1)
Date: 2004-07-02 09:46:50

The notes for "Scheme in 2 days" are available from this URL by following
the "Teaching" link.

Submitted-By: MJ Ray <mjr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Scheme quick tutorial (2)
Date: 2004-07-02 09:46:50

The notes for "Functional Programming in Scheme" are available at
this URL.

Submitted-By: Pascal Costanza <costanza@xxxxxx>
Subject: Lisp/Scheme workshop slides online
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2004 16:41:14 +0200

The slides of the talks given at the 1st European Lisp and Scheme
workshop are now available online.
Of course, all the papers are also online.

Pascal

Submitted-By: MJ Ray <mjr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Scheme 48 release 1.1
Date: 2004-07-05 13:40:46

Scheme 48 is an implementation of Scheme based on a byte-code interpreter.
It is designed to be used as a testbed.
This release has a new VM architecture to facilitate a later native-code
compiler.
There are also a large number of bugfixes and improvements.

Submitted-By: Arnaud Gotlieb <Arnaud.Gotlieb@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: ICLP04 : Detailed program / Extended early registration deadline
Date: 2004-07-09T15:13:00

         International Conference on Logic Programming,
            Palais du Grand Large, Saint-Malo, France,
                  6-10 September 2004.

Until July the 29th, it is still possible to register for ICLP04
and get the reductions for early registration.

ICLP04 (Preliminary) Programme published.

Submitted-By: MJ Ray <mjr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: New URL: mod_scheme
Date: 2004-07-13T21:00:00

The above URL seems to be the new homepage for mod_scheme, but the
maintainer has had to pause development.

Submitted-By: MJ Ray <mjr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Gauche-gtk 0.4.1
Date: 2004-07-13T21:00:00

Gauche-gtk now compiles with both Gtk-2.2 and Gtk-2.4, has more API
support and better integration with gauche-package.

Submitted-By: MJ Ray <mjr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: quack.el 0.25
Date: 2004-07-09

This release of the scheme emacs mode updates quack-manuals, among
other changes.