[SFGS] Fwd: The Weekly Genealogist, Vol. 14, No. 50, Whole #561 December 14, 2011

  • From: ludechem@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: gs members sunflower <sunflowergs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 16:27:09 +0000 (UTC)

The Weekly Genealogist
Vol. 14, No. 50
Whole #561
December 14, 2011
Edited by Lynn Betlock, Jean Powers, and Valerie Beaudrault
dailygenealogist@xxxxxxxxx

bottom of the email and follow the instructions provided.

NEHGS collects, preserves, and interprets materials to document and make
accessible the histories of families in America.

Contents:
* NEHGS Library Holiday Closings
* NEHGS Database News
* Subscribe Now to the 2012 Great Migration Newsletter
* A Note from the Editor: Following Up on Recent Columns
* Name Origins
* This Week’s Survey
* Spotlight: Newspaper Databases
* Stories of Interest
* NEHGS Book Store
* Upcoming Education Programs
* NEHGS Contact Information

**********************************

NEHGS Library Holiday Closings

The NEHGS Library will close at 3:30 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 15, 2011. NEHGS
will be closed on Saturday, December 24, and Saturday, December 31, in
observance of the Christmas and New Year's holidays. Please plan your visit
accordingly.

Return to Table of Contents

**********************************

NEHGS Database News
by Sam Sturgis, Digital Collections Administrator, and Ryan Woods, Director of
Internet Technology

Massachusetts Vital Records, 1913 Deaths

Massachusetts death records for 1913 are now available on AmericanAncestors.org
. This update to the Massachusetts Vital Records database includes 112 volumes
of death certificates with 67,571 searchable names.

Return to Table of Contents

**********************************

Subscribe Now to the 2012 Great Migration Newsletter

The Great Migration Newsletter ( GMN ) offers feature articles on a variety of
topics, including the settlement of early New England towns, migration
patterns, seventeenth-century passenger lists, church and land records, and
much more. The eight-page GMN complements the individual sketches in the Great
Migration books, and addresses broad issues key to understanding the lives and
times of New England’s first immigrants.

Print subscribers to volume 21 (2012) receive a new issue of the GMN through
the mail each quarter ($20 for a one-year subscription or $36 for a two-year
subscription).

Online subscribers access issues through the Great Migration website , where
the Newsletter is posted each quarter. They can also access past issues from
volumes 11 through 20, as well as selected biographical sketches ($10 for a
one-year subscription or $18 for a two-year subscription).

1-888-296-3447

Return to Table of Contents

**********************************

A Note from the Editor: Following Up on Recent Columns
by Lynn Betlock, Editor

Last week I wrote about the opening of the 1940 census on April 2, 2012, and
provided instructions from the National Archives on how to search for ancestors
in the census without an index, since no index currently exists. I mentioned
speculation that a complete name index to the 1940 census would be available
about six months after the census is released

Reader Tom Doherty of Wilmington, Delaware, wrote to let me know that the full
index to the 1940 census is expected to be available in the U.S. for free on
Ancestry.com by mid-April 2012 — and remain free through the end of 2013. “When
complete, more than 3.8 million original document images containing 130 million
plus records will be available to search by more than 45 fields, including
name, gender, race, street address, county and state. It will be Ancestry.com
’s most comprehensively indexed set of historical records to date.”

The press release is available at Ancestry.com .

* * *

sent a link to London Remembers , a website “aiming to capture all memorials in
London.” The memorials include “plaques, monuments, statues, fountains, etc,
that commemorate a person, an event, a building, etc.”

I appreciated the site’s caveat: “Be aware that London actually has more cars,
more rain and less sun than our photos show.”

* * *

And, finally, following up on a previous column on useful map websites, we have
the following recommendations to pass on:

Historic Map Works, Inc.

This site, which contains a wide range of maps, has an interesting feature I’ve
not seen elsewhere. It allows you to search for maps by street address. I
entered addresses in Maine and Massachusetts and received results of relevant
ward, town, city, county, and state maps that included my location. Had I
simply been browsing the site, it would have taken me much more time to
assemble this list.

The Geographicus Antique Map Archive

The Geographicus Archive, the scholarly arm of an online retail map gallery,
attempts to bridge the gap between a webstore and an academic archive. Much of
the research the gallery compiles on its maps is made available here for public
study and use. Users can link to their maps and embed them into their own
websites.

If you missed any of the above stories, or would like to re-read them, please
visit our Daily Genealogist blog . Featured subjects are posted each weekday,
and full issues are available in our archives .

Return to Table of Contents

**********************************

Name Origins
by Julie Helen Otto , Staff Genealogist

PAOLI/PASCALPAOLI (m): A number of Federal-period boys bore the name PAOLI or
PASCALPAOLI in honor of the Corsican patriot [Gen.] Pascal Paoli (1725–1807).
Pascalpaoli Spear (b. Bellingham, Mass. 23 Nov. 1785, son of Benjamin and
Elizabeth [Forrestall] Spear) m. Bellingham (int.) 27 Feb. 1811 Betsey Guild
and had a namesake son in 1812 ( Bellingham, Mass. VRs to 1850 , pp. 61, 146).
Paoli Lathrop (1797–1872, son of Joseph and Rowena [Wells] Lathrop) was named
for the same hero (Rev. S.B. Huntington, A Genealogical Memoir of the
Lo-Lathrop Family [1884], pp. 184–85).

Return to Table of Contents

**********************************

This Week's Survey

Last week’s survey asked whether you currently live in the state (or province)
you were born in. The results are:

38%, Yes, I live in the state or province I was born in.
62 %, No, I do not live in the state or province I was born in.

This week's survey again looks at the migration patterns of Weekly Genealogist
readers. We ask how many times readers have moved. Take the survey now !

Return to Table of Contents

**********************************

Spotlight: Newspaper Databases
by Valerie Beaudrault , Visitor Services Representative

The Jacksonville Republican , Jacksonville, Alabama

Jacksonville is located in Calhoun County, which is in northeast Alabama.
Jacksonville State University has made a historic newspaper database available
on its website. The Jacksonville Republican is one of the oldest newspapers in
northeast Alabama. It began as a weekly paper in January of 1837. The paper was
published continuously between 1837 and 1904, with the exception of a
month-long period at the end of the Civil War. The digital archive of
Jacksonville State University’s Houston Cole Library includes the full range of
newspapers from 1837 to December of 1895. You will need the free Adobe Acrobat
Reader to view these files.

Click on The Jacksonville Republican link to access the digital collection. The
first two PDF files in the list were digitized from a published index. The
first gives a brief history of the collection and the second is an index to
proper names. The index entries include “names, local events, state and
national happenings, and local advertisements,” a few keywords to describe the
article and its contents (obit, murdered, editorials, 3rd regiment, and so on),
and the date on which the article appeared. The PDF files are organized by
year, from most recent to earliest. Within each year the newspapers for each
month are located in a single file. Click on the “PDF” link to open the files.
You will have to scroll through the newspaper images to locate particular
issues and articles.

Newspaper Indexes, Altoona, Pennsylvania

Altoona is located in Blair County, which is in central Pennsylvania. The
Altoona Public Library has made two newspaper databases available on its
website. Click on the database link to access the search page.

Obituary Index
The database indexes obituaries from the local newspaper, the Altoona Mirror ,
for the period from 1929 to the present. The index is searchable by last name,
first name, and maiden name. The data fields include last name, first name,
middle name, maiden name, descriptor, and the date or dates on which the
obituary appeared in the newspaper. The descriptor field contains such
information as the person’s title (Miss, Mrs., Mr.), nickname, and other
descriptive information about the deceased. Once located in the database,
photocopies of obituaries may be requested in writing from the library’s
Reference Department for a small fee.

Birth Index
The Birth Index is a work in progress. The database contains birth notices from
the Altoona Mirror . It may be searched by the child's first or last name,
mother's first name, maiden name or married name, father's first name or last
name, and date of birth. The data fields in the search results include child’s
full name, father’s full name, mother’s full married name plus her maiden name,
if known, child’s date of birth, and the date on which the birth was announced
in the newspaper. If the child is not named, the words son or daughter appear
in the first name field.

Return to Table of Contents

**********************************

Stories of Interest

Storage Unit Holds Family Secrets: Trove of Lost Local History Surfaces in
Tampa, Fla.
When a Florida resident purchased the contents of an abandoned storage unit, he
didn’t expect to find a cache of Massachusetts family photos, letters, and
documents.

In Digital Age, Women Retell Family History Via Traditional Sources
This article, which details two women’s family history projects, also
speculates about the endurance of early 21st-century sources for future family
historians.

Brothers, Apart for Decades, ‘Didn’t Feel Like’ Strangers
Genealogical research reunited two brothers separated as young children.

Return to Table of Contents

**********************************

NEHGS Book Store

Holiday Bundles

The NEHGS Book Store is once again offering Holiday Bundles. Save up to 30% on
many of our most popular titles, which are bundled together for easy gift
shopping. Supplies are limited, so don’t wait! View a full listing .

Classic Reprints

Did you know that the NEHGS Book Store offers library-quality copies of over
10,000 rare and out-of-print books? Some titles ordered by recent customers
include:

    • Biographical Sketch of Samuel Rowell and Notices of Some of His
Descendants, with a Genealogy for Seven Generations, 1754–1898 (Item P4-H22773,
$44.50)
    • History of the Harroun Family in America, Seven Generations of
Descendants: Alexander Harroun of Colrain Massachusetts, 1691–1784 (Item
P4-H13503, $41.00)
    • Winders of America: John of New York, 1674–5; Thomas of New Jersey,
1703–34; John of Maryland, 1665–98 (Item P4-S27774, $19.50)
    • Leconte History and Genealogy: with Particular Reference to Guillaume
Leconte of New Rochelle and New York, and His Descendants (2 volumes) (Item
P4-H17640, $171.00)
    • Descendants of the Earle and Morris Families of New York and New Jersey
(Item P4-H09201, $25.50)

Search the entire Classic Reprints catalog . If you would like a list of FAQs
and search tips for the Classic Reprints catalog, simply send an email with
"Classic Reprints" in the subject line to sales@xxxxxxxxx .

Return to Table of Contents

**********************************

Upcoming Education Programs

NEHGS Research Trip to Belfast

NEHGS’s inaugural research trip to Belfast, Northern Ireland, will delve into
the resources at the new facility of the Public Record Office of Northern
Ireland (PRONI) , the Linen Hall Library , Belfast Central Library, and the
Presbyterian Historical Society . In addition to individual consultations, the
week in Belfast will also feature group activities and educational
opportunities with local experts.

Space is extremely limited; registrations will be accepted on a first-come,
first-served basis. Note that family history research in Ireland is
location-based, so knowing the geographic origins of your ancestors is
essential to conducting effective research. More information and registration
forms are available on AmericanAncestors.org .

Winter Weekend Research Getaway: Beyond Names and Date s
99-101 Newbury St., Boston
February 9, 2012–February 11, 2012

NEHGS Weekend Research Getaways combine personal, guided research at the NEHGS
Research Library with themed educational lectures to create a unique experience
for every participant. Personal consultations with NEHGS genealogists
throughout the program allow participants to explore their own genealogical
projects, while guided by the nation’s leading family history experts. This
year's Winter Weekend Research Getaway, “Beyond Names and Dates,” offers
lectures focused on using information beyond vital records to expand your
family history. Staff will provide suggestions and advice on using manuscripts
and social history to place your family's story in the context of history.

More information and registration forms are available on AmericanAncestors.org
.

Return to Table of Contents

**********************************

NEHGS Contact Information

We encourage you to email this newsletter to others who might be interested.
Subscribe or view back issues of The Weekly Genealogist .

Visit the Society on Facebook .

The Weekly Genealogist , like all of our programs, is made possible through the
generous contributions of our members. Visit us online for information about
giving to NEHGS .

For more information on the New England Historic Genealogical Society, please
visit our website .

Become a member of the New England Historic Genealogical Society or sign up for
a FREE research account !

Copyright 2011, New England Historic Genealogical Society
99–101 Newbury Street, Boston, MA 02116

Return to Table of Contents

Forward email

This email was sent to buzzbro@xxxxxxxxxxx by dailygenealogist@xxxxxxxxx |

Update Profile/Email Address | Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribe ™ | Privacy
Policy .

New England Historic Genealogical Society | 101 Newbury Street | Boston | MA |
02116