[suncommunity] Re: [Q] updating packages (ex. zlib)

  • From: Larye Parkins <larye@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Sun Community Forum <suncommunity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 15:57:52 -0700 (MST)

If you installed the companion packages from the CD, they are in /opt/sfw:
the sunfreeware packages (or, built-from-source versions) install in
/usr/local, so you don't need to worry about dependencies.  It is a bit
simpler to install from source, you *should* upgrade OpenSSL, but you can
build with your existing library packages.  If they aren't all in your
library path, use the --with-* configure options to find them, or to point
to the ones you want to use.

--
Larye D. Parkins
Information Engineering Services

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 phorum@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> This message was sent from: Sun Community Forum.
> <http://www.gekkou.co.uk/forum/read.php?f=1&i=2777&t=2777>
>
> Hi all,
>
> I have a blade 100+Solaris 8, and have installed Sun's companion packages a
> while ago.  This set up has been in use for 2-3+ years, so many packages
> are probably very old.
>
> I wanted to upgrade ssh, and have looked at sunfreeware.com for the packge.
>  And found that it needs ssl, gcc, glib, etc -- all the latest versions.
> What I'm concerned is that I can't just upgrade these library packages
> (e.g. glib), since many other packages also depends on it.
>
> How do you solve this sort of problem?  What's the best way to upgrade?  I
> don't want to move to Solaris 9 yet.
>

> Thanks in advance,
>
> ML

> Sent using Phorum software version 3.4.4 <http://phorum.org>