[suncommunity] Re: Blade100,cardreader,netscape, x509 and CA?

  • From: "Michael A. Moran" <mamoran@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: suncommunity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 15:42:08 -0700

This is entirely doable.  You should get the book "Java Card Technology for
Smart Cards", Addison Wesley.  Java 2 version 1.4 has the java.security.cert
package which supports X.509.

Michael A. Moran, Ph.D.
Former Sun Staff Engineer
Now waiting for a work visa to move to India so I can get my old job back.

Rob J Meijer wrote:
I have zero experience with smartcards, so this might quite possibly be a
rather clueless question. Would it be possible to use the cardreader on the
blade100, and if so what type of card, software and procedure could best be
used to arive at the situation that a card could be used to access a
particular webserver that requires netscape to authenticate itself using
X509signed by the companies own CA? Would this be at all possible, or would
using smartcards for authentication require other forms of authentication on
the webserver than X509 ? T.I.A. Rob J Meijer