[SS2S-Main] Re: temperature controller with arduino

  • From: "Lampe, Mattias SLC CT PEK" <mattias.lampe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2014 18:41:17 +0800

Hi Nathan,

according to my understanding, the behavior you observe only indicates that the
P, I and D coefficients – which depend on a number of factors – are not optimal.

Without looking at the code, I’d suppose these three parameters are
configurable somewhere, and for the temperature control application it should
be possible to optimize them by trial and error. I think there are some
websites explaining the best strategies for that.

“Maxing out” of the corrective value should not  generally be a problem – after
all, you want to be get to your target temperature as quickly as possible – but
you are right that at a difference of 2 degrees it’s a bit unexpected, at best.

My approach (which might be wrong) would probably be to start with the I and D
coefficients set to 0 and adjust P in such a way that you’re not oscillating
too much around the target value. If I remember correctly, the I component will
remove the residual temperature offset, so if you have found a P that doesn’t
oscillate too much but doesn’t hit the desired value exactly, you can fix that
by the I. Not too sure how to optimize the D. If speed is not important, I
think keeping it at 0 might not do too much harm in this case.

(I hope others will correct me if I’m writing nonsense ;-)  )

Mattias