[USS Suffolk] USS SUFFOLK: In need of a break

  • From: Susan Phillipps <susanjp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: suffolk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 03:20:27 GMT

[NRPG:  I can't send messages to any of my yahoo accounts using my slingshot
account, so this post is only been sent to the freelists addy.]

Mission Date:  53.1230
Scene:  Staff Cafeteria, USS Suffolk

As like most days you could find Lieutenant Junior Grade Cathy O'Leary in the
SUFFOLK'S Staff Cafeteria keeping a keen eye on the various officers and
enlisted crewmembers and what they chose to ate.

Despite the best training Star Fleet had given her, Cathy still found that you
could tell more about the morale of the crew from what they had for lunch, than
through any other form of psychoanalysis or other mumbo-jumbo.

Soups and salads ? a sure sign somebody was eager to get back to work - or on a
diet.  Large meals ? hmm, not enough on.  Cathy made a mental note to check
over what their week's schedule was like.  Something exotic on a crewman's
plate was usually indicative of somebody looking for a challenge or a way to
spice things up a bit.  There had been a rash of whose while the SUFFOLK's crew
were assigned to the CHURCHILL on their 'taxi run', but fortunately there were
little present at the moment.  While a 'house special' been consumed by anybody
that wasn't Vulcan was a sure sign Cathy would calling them into her office in
the not too distant future.

Checking over the crew's lunches wasn't the only reason Cathy had come into the
Cafetaria today though.  She had been secretly hoping to run into one of the
SUFFOLK's new senior officers, but to date there had been no sign of them and
Cathy wasn't really surprised as she assumed they were getting settled in first.

PADDs.  Cathy's fork stopped halfway to her mouth and fell into her own
vegetable surprise.  Not just one, but four - no make that five spread around
the end of the table.

*Oh no, this has to stop,* Cathy silently berated them.  Picking up her own
meal she nodded farewell to her companions and headed to the adjoining table
where the incriminating PADDs were.

"Excuse me ? is this seat taken?"

Mission Date:  53.1412
Scene:  Counseling Offices, USS Suffolk

[You have no appointments scheduled for the remainder of the day] the computer
confirmed

*Phew* thought Cathy, not sure as to whether she had been feeling up to any
counseling sessions for the remainder of the day.

Absentmindedly she picked a PADD from the many lying on her desk and bought up
the information.  Most of the psychological profiles and counseling histories
had been sent through for the new officers and Cathy was particularly looking
forward to meeting them and especially their new OPS Officer, LTjg Peter
Callahan.

A small smile crossed Cathy's face as she thought about the challenge
unraveling that man might provide.  The smile disappeared though as Cathy
remembered that she had thought the same thing about their Chief Engineer -
right up until she had met the man.

Popping a white marshmallow into her mouth from the stash she kept in the glass
jar on her desk she glanced down at the PADD's again.  Pysych evaluations only
really told you so much of the story and what Cathy really needed was a way to
meet them.  An informal gathering was usually best, but...

Cathy had a sudden thought as she addressed the ships computer.  "Computer,
display all scheduled crew activities for da next week."

"Oh no," she muttered moments later, sitting forward in her chair.  "No, no,
no - this won't do at all".

She would have to run the idea past the Captain first of course, but what Cathy
thought this ship really needed was a get-together for the new crew.

*Talent Quest*, she thought.  "Done to death," she muttered out loud.

*A Play?*.  "Boring."

*O-kay, intergalactic dinner then.*  Cathy groaned out loud.

*Christmas?*  "We're not even close.  But that's a thought."  *I wonder if I
could convince Attucks to dress as Father Christmas?*  Cathy smiled in spite of
herself again.

She pulled herself off the chair.  "Think Cathy think!  There must be some kind
of major holiday going on in the alpha quadrant?"

"Computer," Cathy stopped pacing long enough to address the computer
again.  "Compile a list of major holidays and events held in any of the
Federation colonies over the next month?"

[Working...]

*This might just work - and heaven knows the remaining crew could also do with
a bit of a pick-me-up!*

[List compiled] the computer confirmed [there are 231 records of significant
events scheduled in the 45 days].

"Yikes.  Computer ? narrow down the list of occurrences to formal celebration?"

[There are eleven scheduled occurrences of significant cultural or religious
ceremonies.]

"Now, where getting somewhere.  List results."

[Klingon Combatant Day.  Celebrated throughout the Klingon Empire to honor
fallen warriors and for special devotion to Kayhless.  Previous celebrations
have included ritual sacrifices, the production of blood wine using ancient
methods and often the first hunt for their youth.]

"Ugh, perhaps not this time.  Next."

[Betazed Ancestry Remembrance Day.  A national holiday celebrated by Betazoids
throughout the quadrant.  Formal remembrance of ancestors are held through
private service or community commemoration.]

"Hmm, well I guess it has some promise - but not exactly what I had in mind."

[Andorian Autonomy Celebration.  The major national holiday of Andoria;
dedicated to the observance of Andoria?s first democratically elected
sovereignty and the establishment of the first code of principles.]

"Not quite what we?re after.  Next."

[Terran Ramadan.  Celebrated throughout the Muslim community of Earth in
celebration of the Islmaic prophet Mohamed.  Four weeks is dedicated to prayer
and worship, most notable by the fasting period, with no food or drink being
consumed during daylight hours.]

"A noble cause, but not really what I had in mind," Cathy checked the dates of
the holiday.  She was aware that were number a number of Islamic crewmembers
aboard and she didn't want to schedule the festivities in the middle of this
period.  Fortunately, Ramadan wasn't scheduled to being for another two
weeks.  "Next."

[Bolian National Science Day.  A commemorative holiday to celebrate the work of
some of Bolians best scientists and engineers.  A choice selection of work can
be found on display in many of Bolian?s major museums and houses.]

~Snore~.  "Next!"

[Bajoran Independence Day.  A day held in honor of the ejection of Cardassian
forces and control from Bajor.  It is a special day of remembrance for those
that also gave their life for the fight of freedom.]

"A little too sobering for what I really had in mind.  Next."

[Vulcan Reason:  A day spent dedicated to the pursuit of logic as taught by
Surak.  Special emphasis is placed on meditation and self-discipline.]

"Enough," cried Cathy.  "Next."

[Deltan National Holiday.]

"That's alright," Cathy cut off the computer.  She had been involved in enough
Deltan celebrations to know that nudity and sexual freedom formed a significant
part of most Deltan celebrations and Cathy couldn't see her getting that one
past command.  "Next."

[Chinese New Year.  A Terran festival originating from the Asian continent in
which New Year's Eve and New Year's Day are celebrated as a family affair given
in honor of heaven and earth, the gods of the household and the family
ancestors.]

"Now were talking," Cathy retook her seat.  "A few decorations in the Cargo
Bay - perhaps some lanterns," Cathy started to warm to the idea.  Bringing up
her schedule for the week she requested a meeting with the Captain and then
settled back to her planning.

Respectfully,

Susan Phillipps
LTjg Cathy O'Leary
CNS, USS Suffolk
GIBRAXFOR, Green Fleet
susanjp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
NRPG:

Welcome aboard too... well just about everybody I guess!

Charles - I hope you don't mind the suggestion of getting the crew together for
an informal gathering.  If you want to expand on the idea let me know.

All - If anybody feels like a visit to the Counseling Offices, please drop me a
note.