[studiorecorder] Re: Questions about Audio files and conversion to MP3.

  • From: Rob Meredith <rmeredith@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "studiorecorder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <studiorecorder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 07:49:58 -0400

Duane:

I suspect Book Wizard has no problems with 22.05K wave files. The advantage to
the 44.1K files is that you get better high frequency content. The disadvantage
is the size. If you don't have any content that is above 11K in the files, I
would probably go with the 22.05K sample rate for archiving your wave files. In
my personal life, I usually compromise and use 32K, but it is too late for you
to do that.

If you decide to resample, use the highest quality setting for the resampler of
your choice, and be prepared to wait a while for each file.

Reasons Why You Might Not Want to Convert to 22.05K:

1. not all devices can play 22.05K files. If this is the case, you would have
to up-sample while converting to MP3, which sounds like a tremendous waste of
time.

2. Storage prices continue to fall. If you already have it in 44.1K, you might
want to keep it, knowing that storing it in the future will be faster and
cheaper than storing it now. You can get a portable 500GB drive for well under
$100 these days.

Good luck with your decision.

Rob