[studiorecorder] Olympus DS-50 Vs. DS-2

  • From: "Jeremiah Z. Rogers" <jzr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <studiorecorder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 16:28:17 -0500

Greetings all, and hope your new year has gotten off to a satisfactory
start. I visited Olympus's website and was intrigued by their new DS-50
digital recorder. Among other neat features, this recorder boasts playback
of MP3, WMA, and Audible files, as well as speech feedback for navigating
its menus. My chief complaint with the DS-2 was that, even with good
microphones, the recordings were noisier than those that people are getting
out of other recorders with the same microphones. In looking at the specs
for the DS-2 and the DS-50, the only notable difference in them are the
storage capacity, the external mic impedance (2000 ohms for the DS-2 and 680
ohms for the DS-50), and the maximum frequency they can record (17KHz for
the DS-2 and 20KHz for the DS-50). I like the idea of these recorders over
those made by Edirol and its competitors because of their size, and I am
willing to sacrifice a slight bit of audio recording quality for size if
that's necessary. My questions, then, are as follows.

1. What, if any, predictable result comes from the difference between the
two recorders' mic impedance?
2. Given that I do all my editing in Studio Recorder and that I have to
convert WMA files to wave in order to edit them, is it likely that even if
the recording quality of the DS-50 is nearly equivalent to the excellent
recordings folks are getting from the Edirols and competitors, I'd find more
dissatisfaction with the WMA to wave conversions on the way to Studio
Recorder?

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide.

Very gratefully,

Jeremiah Z. Rogers
Wireless: 704-996-5334
Email/Skype/MSN Messenger: jzr@xxxxxxxxxx