Re: [steem] Pasti via command line

  • From: "Steem Authors" <steem@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Steem Discussion" <steem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 11:02:09 +0100

Hi Rob,

> The development on GamebaseST has been quietly going on in the
> background (we have over 1050 games added now).  We are in the process
> of adding Pasti image support into the database, however we've come
> across a problem.  STeem 3.2 does not seem to accept STX images via
> the command line (with Pasti support switched on or off beforehand).

Oh yes, I have a faint recollection of doing something to fix this, but it
doesn't work so I must have dreamt it. Either that or I may have fixed it
and then Ant changed the way Pasti works that broke it again, so blame him.
:D I've fixed it for the next release, however that is about the only thing
that has changed so it probably won't be released for a while!

> Since STeem would normally "load and go" a command line .st file, and
> in your v3.2 readme it says .stx files should work the same way, I'm
> wondering if it's a bug or something the Pasti.dll is interfering
> with.

No, it is a bug in Steem, Pasti doesn't handle command-line options at all.

> Also I've noticed the "PastiActive" variable in the steem.ini file.
> Apart from toggling that variable, is there any other things STeem has
> to do to enable Pasti support?  I find just changing that variable
> from 0 to 1 before loading STeem doesn't do the trick, and I'd like to
> control that function from the GamebaseST frontend if possible.  I've
> monitored the registry and disk access when I switch the option on
> inside STeem but I can't find any modification going on (perhaps its
> something in memory directly to the Pasti.dll).  If so, I'd really
> like the option to be able to toggle Pasti support via the command
> line on startup.

That is the only option that needs to be changed, however it is reset by a
snapshot being loaded, so you have to turn off auto snapshots in order for
it to take effect. You can use the ini file to a fake command-line disk
launch so the current version will work with Pasti and GamebaseST. Just
change "Disk_A_Path" and "Disk_A_Name", turn off auto snapshot
(AutoLoadSnapShot=0) and tack "RUN" on the command line. That will only work
for a new instance of Steem though, so might be best to stick on "OPENNEW"
too.

> I'll be happy to work with a beta if you have these things done
> already in a later build, we want to have full Pasti support in
> GamebaseST v1 when its released.

As I said we haven't changed much, and unfortunately we are both very busy
these days so there may not be a new release for a while. Probably best to
get it working with the current version.

Hope that helps,
Russ

--
Steem - http://steem.atari.st/