[ssug-malappuram] Linux Goes Native in Bhutan

  • From: "Santhosh Thottingal" <santhosh00@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: smc-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ssug-malappuram@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 11:23:23 +0530

From http://www.linuxinsider.com/rsstory/59207.html

People in Bhutan will soon be able chat, send e-mail Email Marketing
Software - Free Demo, and surf the Internet Over 800,000 High Quality
Domains Available For Your Business. Click Here. in the native
language of Dzongkha.

The country's Department of Information and Technology (DIT) has come
up with an operating system Stay on budget with simple to install HP
server technology. called the "Dzongkha Debain Linux," an updated
version of the Dzongka Linux developed in June 2006. The Dzongkha
Debain Linux, which was launched on Aug. 28, according to DIT
officials, can be installed in any type of computers or can be used
with a live CD.

According to Pema Geley, the launch of the Dzongkha Linux marks
Bhutan's move towards free and open source software. "Linux is a free
operating system, and we customized the Debain Linux according to the
need of our Dzongkha users," he said. "Since Debain Linux is
recognized worldwide, we encourage people to use it."
Meanwhile, DIT is aiming to develop software like Text to Speech,
Speech Recognition system, and Optical Character Recognition system on
Dzongkha Debain Linux in the second phase. The Text to Speech program
will read out text from the screen in Dzongkha. "This will be of big
use to people, who cannot read or write," he said. The Speech
Recognition system will make the computer type any dictation. "We have
the capacity and are confident of doing it," said Pema Geley.

DIT has also released a 222-paged book on dzongkha computer terms.
Officials said that they will also conduct a training for interested
people. Meanwhile, the software will be posted on www.druknet.bt soon
and can be downloaded for free. Live CDs are available at DIT.
Wiki: http://fci.wikia.com/wiki/Malappuram