[sparkscoffee] US POW

  • From: "John J. Miller" <seaspark@xxxxxxx>
  • To: sparkscoffee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2016 11:56:58 -0500

Greetings

May be of interest to some.

German POWs in the US had it pretty good, also in Britain and later in France.

In the USA they had good rations, treatment, etc., because we did not want any mis treatment of our men captive in Germany.

When the war ended and all prisoners of the Germans were accounted for, things rapidly changed and conditions grew a lot harder for German POWs. Three prisoners convicted of murdering one of their own were hanged at Leavenworth, (Still buried there). This caused quite a stir because hostilities were ended and then they were executed. This is all detailed in a book but I don't recall the name. I believe there was a TV movie about it. You can probably research on Google.

POW in U.K. were able to work on farms, etc. and they were better off than the poor guys fighting a losing war.

Some German soldiers had to serve after the war as Pows as a form of punishment, they were better off then returning to Germany '46-'47. I knew a fellow who served his time in France working on a flax farm, he also agreed that it was better than returning home immediately.

73

JJ Miller

Users Change your settings here: //www.freelists.org/list/sparkscoffee
Unsubscribe/Subscribe and more commands are available for you.