[sotd] The Year of Science 2009 [August 19, 2009]

  • From: "Site of the Day" <amholm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 10:06:59 -0300

        Site of the Day for Wednesday, August 19, 2009

        The Year of Science 2009

Today's site marks an entire year devoted to showcasing a number of significant
scientific anniversaries and combining this under the umbrella of its overall
theme
-- 'how we know what we know'. Gentle Subscribers will discover a range of
interesting material, centered around a new topic for each month.

"Year of Science 2009 is a 12 month celebration of how science works, why
science
matters, and who scientists are ... There are many reasons to celebrate science.
With the many seminal anniversaries that are on the horizon in 2009, it seemed
only
logical that we should celebrate them as a community! From astronomy to zoology
we
are all here - ready to support public understanding of the process and nature
of
science in an exploration of 'how we know what we know'." - from the website

Beginning in January, with its topic of exploring the very nature of science,
the
presentation has highlighted physics and technology, evolution, and energy
resources, among others. The current month's theme focuses on weather and
climate.
In the Explore Weather section a "Climate Time Machine" from the Jet Propulsion
Laboratory and the California Institute of Technology, offers a visual
representation of climate conditions over a number of decades, with dramatic
images
of the changes in the polar ice cap and projections for sea level rises, along
with
CO2 emissions and a look at more than a century of global temperature
variations.
In addition, an array of videos, podcasts and scientists' blogs are also
available
for most themes, accessible from the "Themes" tab on the home page.

Soar over to the site for a noteworthy exhibit on The Year of Science 2009 at:

http://www.yearofscience2009.org

  A.M. Holm
<admin-sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Manage your subscription and view the List archives on the web at:
<//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=sotd> and
 <//www.freelists.org/archives/sotd>