[sotd] Service of the Month - Gardner Museum Music [January 29, 2010]

  • From: "Site of the Day" <amholm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 11:34:20 -0400

        Site of the Day for Friday, January 29, 2010

        Service of the Month - Gardner Museum Music

Located in the cultural heart of New England, Boston's Isabella Stewart Gardner
Museum provides a sterling service to aficionados of classical music. While
devotees of pop, rock and even Asian techno can find ample sources for free and
legal examples of these genres, the classical music lover with empty pockets
and a
hungry MP3 player is generally not so lucky.

To the rescue comes the Gardner Museum Music collection and weekend concert
podcasts.

"In our music library, you'll find free classical music sorted by performer and
composer, featuring performances recorded live in the museum's Tapestry Room as
part of our ongoing concert series. Click on a composer or performer's name to
view
their bio and a list of musical works available for download. ... All
recordings in
the library are taken from our classical podcast, The Concert. If you like what
you
hear, learn how to subscribe to our podcast and receive automatic updates twice
each month when new music is added." - from the website

With a full time music director and a coterie of outstanding young musicians
from
some of the nation's most prestigious music programs, including the New England
Conservatory, within easy reach, along with established professional musicians,
the
Gardner Museum's music program trumpets an interesting range of classical music
selections, from Bach to Schoenberg. This is the place to go to find an
exhilarating recording of the Schumann Quintet in E-Flat Major or the evocative
Grieg Violin Sonata in C Minor. A brief commentary is available for each
composer,
while musical biographies have been provided for the talented performers. In
addition, the MP3's feature the happy bonus of comprehensively annotated ID3
tags,
which can be a tedious chore to individually complete.

Hum over to the site for a great source for free and legal classical music
selections at:

http://www.gardnermuseum.org/music/library.asp

  A.M. Holm
<admin-sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Manage your subscription and view the List archives on the web at:
<//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=sotd> and
 <//www.freelists.org/archives/sotd>