[sotd] September 29, 2004 [BBC - Human Mind Tests]

  • From: "The Site of the Day" <sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 02:59:09 -0300

        Site of the Day for Wednesday, September 29, 2004

        BBC - Human Mind Tests

Today's intriguing site from the BBC offers a number of fascinating quizzes
related to their "Human Mind" television programs. Gentle Subscribers will
discover some interesting indications about their own perceptions as
measured by these cleverly designed and well-presented tests.

"Can you spot a fake a smile?... Most people are surprisingly bad at
spotting fake smiles. ... Take our test to find out. Discover whether
you're attracted to extroverts or introverts in our face perception test.
Get to know yourself better by taking our personality test." - from the
website

The site presents tests dealing with various facets of human perception.
The section on fake smiles consists of color photos of ordinary people of
various ages, genders and races with a button to begin each smile sequence.
At the test's conclusion, results are clearly displayed along with the
scientific explanation of the determining factors between genuine and fake
smiles. Unfortunately, the tests dealing with face perceptions and memory
had a 404 error at their conclusions. Warwick University's gender and
emotions fast-paced test attempts to determine the efficiency of the
respondents' frontal lobes and reports its measurements in milliseconds.

Note: There is a brief questionnaire to determine the demographics of the
test respondents before beginning the tests. Privacy assurances are given.

Pop over to the site for some interesting quizzes focusing on the human
mind at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/tv/humanmind/index.shtml

  A.M. Holm
<admin-sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Manage your subscription and view the List archives on the web at:
<//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=sotd> and
 <//www.freelists.org/archives/sotd>