[sotd] September 23, 2003 [Wireless Networking Basics]

  • From: "The Site of the Day" <sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 10:04:21 -0300

        Site of the Day for Tuesday, September 23, 2003

        Wireless Networking Basics: A (Hopefully) Helpful Beginner's Guide

Today's site from Jason Wong, a student at the University of Illinois at
Urbana-Champaign, offers a good primer on the mysteries of wireless
networking. Gentle Members, panting to move to a broadband internet
connection but deterred by the prospect of either trailing wires through
the house or drilling holes to hook up a number of computers, may find this
useful guide demystifies the wireless option.

"I created this site mainly because I got frustrated with the lack of an an
all-encompassing guide about wireless Ethernet technology for beginners.
... I wanted to create a site for beginners that explains everything from
the alphabet soup that is the 802.11 protocol to the different kinds of
hardware that's needed, to securing the network once it's in place. So I
hope to bring all that knowledge together at one site that can be read by
anyone who needs to know anything about WiFi." - from the website

This blessedly ad-free site covers 802.11x protocols, explanations of wired
and wireless ethernet hardware, home wireless configurations, a helpful
Glossary and a brief FAQ, all in easy to understand language. In addition,
there's a technical paper on "Wi-Fi" in PDF format and a number of
practical diagrams on different network setups. Further links to additional
information are also provided.

Roam to the site for an enlightening introduction to wireless networking
at:

http://wifi.solarissky.net/

  A.M. Holm
<admin-sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Manage your subscription and view the List archives on the web at:
<//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=sotd> and
 <//www.freelists.org/archives/sotd>