[sotd] History of Geology [December 23, 2015]

  • From: "Site of the Day" <amholm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2015 06:45:34 -0800

Site of the Day for Wednesday, December 23, 2015

History of Geology

Today's site, from dedicated geologist David Bressan, offers a highly regarded
blog on geology with special emphasis on its historical underpinnings. Gentle
Subscribers will discover the fascinating facts which constitute the scientific
evolution of a more complete understanding of this discipline.

"'We know more about the stars high above our heads, than about earth just
below our feet.' Leonardo da Vinci ... During my research on glaciers, studying
old maps and reports on the former extent of these white cows, I became
interested in history, especially the development of geomorphologic,
paleontological and geological concepts by naturalists and geologists. Living
in a key area for the history of geology, I will so combine curiosity, field
trips and old depictions and 'blog' about how geology developed and how it
today impacts our life."- from the website

This well-organized blog provides examples and commentary on how scientific
knowledge about the earth changed and grew over the centuries. From the
speculations and sketches of Leonardo da Vinci to the scientific work of
Charles Darwin, the blog encompasses a comprehensive diversity of topics.
Recent posts have considered the Geology of Star Trek, Caves as Treasure Chests
of Prehistoric Life, and Geology and Dragons with reference to the works of an
18th century Swiss physician. With easily accessible archives going back five
years, a timeline, and the use of the currently fashionable tagging system,
which highlights subjects with the most content, this publication presents an
impressive compilation of how scientific thought about geology advanced over
the centuries.

Stride to the blog for noteworthy observations on the history of geology at:

http://historyofgeology.fieldofscience.com/

A.M. Holm
Comments? Suggestions? amholm@xxxxxxxxxxx
Manage your subscription and view the List archives on the web at:
//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=sotd and
//www.freelists.org/archives/sotd