[sotd] Giant Panda Cam [October 30, 2013]

  • From: "Site of the Day" <amholm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 06:15:17 -0700

        Site of the Day for Wednesday, October 30, 2013

        Giant Panda Cam

Today's site, from the National Zoo in Washington, D.C., offers the hugely
popular live Panda Cams, recently shuttered due to political contretemps but
now back in operation. Gentle Subscribers who have not been au fait with the
engaging visuals presented by the pandas are in for a treat.

"Our best known residents are our giant pandas ... Mei Xiang and Tian Tian are
the National Zoo's second pair of giant pandas. Both were born at the China
Research and Conservation Center for the Giant Panda in Wolong, Sichuan
Province. ... It can be hard to tell the adult giant pandas apart, but Mei
Xiang and Tian Tian do have a few differences ... You can take a virtual visit
to the Zoo any day of the week by tuning into our live web cams." - from the
website

The National Zoo offers two cameras trained on the giant pandas, noting that
the panda pair spend most of the day together, although they do not necessarily
wake at the same time. Slow moving and seemingly imperturbable, these endearing
animals appear to generate an atmosphere of tranquility which can extend to
those watching. In addition to the Panda Cams, the exhibit features informative
material about these special bears, covering habitat, physical characteristics,
and diet, while further information is provided about the specific pair at the
zoo, including their family tree. Not to be missed is the photo gallery.

Amble over to the site to enjoy the National Zoo's Giant Pandas at:

http://nationalzoo.si.edu/animals/webcams/giant-panda.cfm

A.M. Holm
  Comments? Suggestions?  <amholm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  Manage your subscription and view the List archives on the web at:
<//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=sotd> and
 <//www.freelists.org/archives/sotd>