[socialworkpc] bioethics policy's

  • From: "Becerra, Susana - MGH" <Susana.Becerra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "socialworkpc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <socialworkpc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 10:35:35 -0700

Hi all,
I was wondering if any of you would be willing to share any of your
policy/procedures for bioethics? Such as process for referring to ethics, what
types of cases are seen by ethics etc. I'm not on the ethics committee, but I
am often called in on those that are PC Pts. What I have noticed is that the
ethics committee here tends to see cases that many of us do not believe are
ethical dilemmas but more related to staffing issues. Just because a case is
difficult doesn't make it an ethical issue, in my opinion. I went searching for
a policy/procedure to help me understand the process and haven't found one. I
will keep searching because it's hard to believe there isn't one, but even the
ethics committee members do not know if there is one. And if there is not one
then I want to encourage them to complete one in order to get appropriate
referrals seen by ethics and make good use of staff time.

I am wondering how other hospitals use their ethics committee and any processes
you may use. What has worked and not worked? Any feedback would be appreciated
and actual documents/attachments would be very helpful as well.
Thanks so much and I wish you all well.
Susana Becerra, LCSW
Palliative Care Social Worker
916-733-6486 phone
916-535-3089 pgr
[cid:image002.jpg@01CFE9F6.15FCCF30]
4001 J Street
Sacramento, CA 95819

Caution: This email is both proprietary and confidential, and not intended for
transmission to or receipt by any unauthorized persons. If you believe it has
been received by you in error, please do not read any attachments. Instead,
kindly reply to the sender stating that you have received the message in error.
Then destroy it and any attachments. Thank you.

JPEG image