[smartdoctor] reforme-potpuno nerazumijevanje našeg svakodnevnog posla,manjak zdravog razuma u reformatora... -jednostavno ne znamo što očekivati (poznato)-burnout LOVES that!

  • From: "bari sita" <bari.nikola.sita@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <smartdoctor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2014 07:47:47 +0200

<http://www.thehappymd.com/blog/bid/295048/Physician-Burnout-Why-its-not-a-F
air-Fight>
http://www.thehappymd.com/blog/bid/295048/Physician-Burnout-Why-its-not-a-Fa
ir-Fight

Being a Doctor is Stressful . Period

The "most stressful" professions are characterized as having a high level of
responsibility and little control over the outcome. The practice of Medicine
certainly fits that description and is consistently on the short list of
professions with the highest inherent stress levels. This is a tough job
that saps our energy every single day.

We work with sick people all day long (duh!)

Our days are filled with intense encounters with sick, scared or hurting
people . with all the emotional needs that come with an illness. This
naturally draining environment is compounded by our typical lack of training
on how to  create and maintain boundaries with our patients.

Balance, What Balance?

Medicine has a powerful tendency to become the "career that ate my brain",
pushing all other life priorities to the side. Our training reinforces our
innate workaholic tendencies. As we get older, with more family
responsibilities, the tension between work and our larger life is a major
stressor for many. Lack of training in how to create and maintain boundaries
- this time between work and life - is a part of this perfect recipe for
physician burnout.

A Leadership Role You are Not Trained For

You graduate into the position as leader of a healthcare delivery team
without receiving any formal leadership skills training. By default we learn
a dysfunctional "Top Down" leadership style. Medicine and the military are
the only professions where the leaders "give orders".  This adds additional
stress. (burnout's smile just got a little bigger)

The Doctor as Rate Limiting Step in the System

We are the "bottleneck" in the provision of services on this same healthcare
team,. The team can only go as fast as we can - and we are often behind
schedule. Pressure mounts to perform at full steam all day long. This
non-stop pressure is a key factor in physician burnout once you are in
practice.

The Closed Door Creates a Black Box

We are isolated from the rest of the patient care team by the exam room
door. We don't know what they are doing and they don't understand our
situation simply because the majority of care occurs behind that closed door
- when we are one-on-one with our patients.

Who's Paying for This?

The financial incentives are confusing at best. The patient is often not the
one paying for our services and many of them receive their care with no
personal investment on their part. You may have to deal with over a dozen
health plans with different formularies and referral and authorization
procedures . of which the patient is blissfully unaware.

A Lawsuit Waiting to Happen

The hostile legal environment causes many us to see each patient as a
potential lawsuit. This fear factor adds to the stress of all the points
above.

The Job Isn't Over Until the Paperwork is Done

Documentation requirements are a constant work overload. What you have to do
- and document - to get paid is a game where the rules are always changing.

Who am I Working for This Week?

The ongoing wave of practice consolidation in many metro areas means you
could be solo this week and working for the hospital the next. These
shifting organizational structures can destroy years of effort invested in
building your work team and profitability.

Politics and "Reform"

Political debate drives uncertainty about what your career will look and
feel like in the future. All the pundits share the same complete lack of
understanding about our day to day experience as providers in the trenches
of patient care. There is no track record of common sense. We simply don't
know what to expect. (burnout LOVES that !)

Things Eventually Get Stale

The ten year threshold when your practice suddenly seems to become much more
of a "mindless routine", losing its ability to stimulate your creative
juices each week. All of a sudden it seems as if medicine is "no fun any
more". Physician burnout can quickly grab the upper hand.