[slislita] Reminder: LITA Guest Speaker MONDAY

  • From: "Andy Giesler" <andy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <slislita@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 07:47:06 -0500

Hi all,

This'll be our last official LITA event for the year. Please attend if
you're able!

This should be a good chance to learn more about real-world technology
decisions.

Good luck (and have fun) with the rest of the semester.

.Andy

---------------------------------

GUEST SPEAKER: Why Wisconsin's SCLS Chose OPEN SOURCE KOHA for its ILS

It wasn't an easy decision.

An Integrated Library System (ILS) is central to its library's functioning:
it provides an OPAC as well as support for circulation, acquisitions, and
other critical functions. Last fall our South Central Library System
formally decided to move from a commercial vendor (SirsiDynix/Horizon) to
Koha, a free and Open Source (community-developed) ILS.

Lauren Blough, SCLS's Automation Project Manager, was centrally involved in
the decision process. SLIS LITA has invited her to discuss how and why they
made the decision, and to answer our questions about it. SLIS student Andy
Giesler will frame the discussion with brief background information about
Open Source and Koha.

Monday 4/13
SLIS Commons
12 p.m. to 1 p.m.