[slislita] LITA? Meeting Friday

  • From: Sara Andrews <sandrewsbibliophile@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: slislita@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 15:34:51 -0600

Hello Everyone,

With current events going as they are - and combined interest by several of
the LITA members - this weeks meeting will actually be to discuss the
formation of a Progressive Librarians Guild Chapter in Madison.  Although
there would be SLIS students involved this group - is not just for students
- also current librarians and library staff.

I'm posting the info here, regular meetings will resume in 2 weeks. Feel
free to invite anyone you think might be interested.

Here's the info from our facebook invite put together by David Woken:

http://libr.org/plg/index.php

Let's coordinate our activism as librarians against Gov. Walker.

This is an exploratory meeting to start up a chapter of the Progressive
Librarians Guild here in Madison. Many of us have been active in the
resistance to Gov. Walker's "budget repair bill" in the last few weeks, and
have been active in other progressive causes previously (jail libraries,
feminist activism, antiwar activism, outreach through groups like REFORMA,
Allied Drive, etc.). It seems like it would be good for us to try to
coordinate our efforts, and maybe figure out ways we can work together to
apply our skills to our activism. Let's do this.

If you can't make it but are interested in helping out, let us know on the
event wall. Also, invite any friends you think would be interested (SLIS
students, local librarians, whoever).

-Sara