[sleafordbka] Secretarial position - Sat. August 6 Meeting

  • From: "Carole E Smith" <caroleesmith46@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sleafordbka@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 21:24:07 +0100

Hello fellow beekeepers,

I would like to inform you all on the latest with our vacant secretarial
position. I am very pleased and relieved to announce that Mrs. Melody Espin
from Welbourn, has generously agreed to fill the current interim vacant
position of Sleaford District secretary!

The SBKA committee will be meeting before the Andy Whatton - "Preparing Your
Bees For Winter"  meeting this Saturday, to discuss the finer details of
splitting off some of the items from Jez's comprehensive list, in order to
make this role more manageable for one person. Some of these
responsibilities, of course, need to stay with the secretarial role, as
there is a strong liaison with the county secretary that needs to be
maintained.

Here are a few items that could be spun off and we would need volunteers to
take responsibility for them:

Honey Show:  a big event, but only once/year. Would include
contacting/organizing for the judge, arranging venue, promoting
schedule/event, arranging trophy return and award cards (Joe Seddon usually
does cards...), getting people's honey, etc. registered-in accurately,
recording & reporting results accurately, making sure entry rules are
strictly enforced, making sure judge is looked after, setting up
tables/banner/trophy display... that is more or less it. As long as one
person is in charge, a group of others could be organized to assist, at
least on the day.

Special Events/Educational Meeting Organizer: I think that the special
education meetings are one of the best things we do. This year's of course,
is Andy Whatton, on "Preparing Your Bees For Winter." Last year, Simon
arranged to have David Kemp teach on "Twinstock Hives." This is the kind of
thing. The ideas could come from the group, say at the AGM.  Since we cover
beginner info at the Open Apiaries, as well as the BBKA Course-In-A-Case
classes, it is great to cover some intermediate or more advanced items of
interest. We used to have a video evening on bees, in the past; that would
be great to have in September or November.  Anything goes, really. It just
would help the secretary not to have to do it all.

Quarterly Review mailings: I feel strongly, that we pay for this with our
subscription and should not have to send out pre-paid envelopes, etc. John
has always been kind enough to retrieve them from Central Council, (as he is
the Sleaford rep), and he and Ann usually physically pass them out where
they can. (A big thank you to them, especially for going out of their way to
do this during July!)

We have a sizable membership now, and these have to be put in envelopes,
addressed, and mailed out four times per year. Not a pretty job, but an
important one. Mailing/envelope/ink/ label costs are of course reimbursed.

These are some of the items for which I ask you to think about volunteering.
If you have any questions, please ask, if you are unsure. It would be great
to get feedback prior to our committee meeting on Sat.

I appreciate your giving the above serious thought. Sometimes we think we
can't do something or don't have the skills or talent, then we are
pleasantly surprised to find after a bit of effort and probably worry...WE
CAN! And that feels great!

And lastly, a BIG THANK YOU to Melody, for agreeing to step up and take on a
very important role for the interim!! Hope to see many of you on Saturday
and also get some volunteers before that day!

Sincerely,

Carole Smith

Chairman