[slackintosh-users] Re: cloning, DRI with ATI, serial devs ...

  • From: "Marco Bonetti" <marco.bonetti@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: slackintosh-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 23:11:07 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, June 2, 2009 16:15, Ben Bauer wrote:
> A few questions:
yeah!

> 1) From the generic config it appears that SMP is NOT
> enabled in the default kernel.  I am using a G4 Mirrored Door
> (windtunnel) with 2x1.0 GHz proc.  Is it worth recompiling
> with SMP given that video (NV18 GeForce4 MX AGP card) seems
> to be the slowest part?
SMP is not enabled as we have no way to test it (besides, kernel building
is a looong task :-P )
If I'd were you, I'd build a custom kernel with smp support. Even if the
video card is the bottleneck you probably aren't using all of your power.

> 2) From an earlier post I learned that DRI with that video
> card ((NV18 GeForce4 MX) is most likely more than a chore,
> and maybe not possibe.  If I swap in a Radeon 7000, is DRI
> more likely to work as expected?
Radeon have better open source support, I'd go for them.

>  (cd / && tar cf - . ) | (cd /otherdrive/ && tar xvfp -)
>  what would I need to do on the second drive (with ypbin)
>  BEFORE I move it to the new machine?
hmm you can move it to the other machine and doing these things AFTER with
a live cd ;-)
1) you need /dev, /proc e /sys mounted on the new disk, something like:
  mount -t proc none /disk/proc
  mount -t sysfs sysfs /disk/sys
  mount -o bind /dev /disk/dev
will do the trick
2) adapt yaboot config to the new enviroment (did you create a bootstrap
block? did you alter the number of partitions?)
3) chroot in the new disk and run both mkofboot and ybin to install the
boot loader

> 4) I am assumming that the onboard modem uses a serial line.
> Is there a way to tap into this before the modem (and defeating
> the modem) for use with a serial device?
uh?

> 5) When Slackware 13 comes out, will Slackintosh be updated?
> (yes, I am ducking to avoid the glares of the developers)
Yes, I'll be back at updating the distribution soon. I'm setting up the
hardware adrian sent in (I broke my only powerpc some times ago) and I'm
sorting out the Slackintosh work with real life events ;-)

ciao

--
Marco Bonetti
BT3 EeePC enhancing module: http://sid77.slackware.it/bt3/