[slackintosh-users] My G3 runs best under Slackintosh

  • From: David Wheeler <releehw2001@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: slackintosh-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 18:52:35 -0800 (PST)

Here's my experience on a G3, 256M RAM, =~800Mhz:

Ubuntu Feisty Fawn: A bit heavy but I could run Gnome from the live CD without
excessive slowness and the machine was fairly responsive and quiet running
Feisty/Gnome from the hard disk.

Hardy: Inevitably hung the computer after variable amounts of uptime ranging
from minutes to hours--never knew when it was coming, but it was coming...

Jaunty: Way too much disk thrashing from the outset with Gnome but not too bad
once extraneous daemons were shut down and either Fluxbox or Windowmaker was
substituted for the Gnome desktop, mrxvt was used as terminal program, and
seamonkey substituted for firefox.  XFCE  4.6 was not much lighter than Gnome.
And KDE4...

ArchPPC: Running Gnome was feasible if one didn't need to run many applications
at once and firefox was not invoked.  KDE4 was not good.  To ensure smooth
operation under normal usage I needed to run Fluxbox or Windowmaker.

Slackintosh 12.1:  Runs quietly under KDE 3.5--no disk thrashing or annoying
pauses with a multi-tabbed Konsole, Seamonkey, Amarok, and Emacs running
concurrently.  Using  Fluxbox or Windowmaker instead of KDE, I feel like I have
too much RAM...

Thanks for Slackintosh Adrian and Marco!

David Wheeler