[SKRIVA] Waltzes from the WALTIC

  • From: "ahrvid@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <ahrvid@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: skriva@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, sverifandom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, trufen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, baltcon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 11:50:41 +0200 (CEST)

A few words from WALTIC, where I am presently gophering around in the computer
room.
  Writers' And Literary Translators' International Congress (=WALTIC), is an
international literary conference hosted by the Swedish Writers' Union, said to
be "the first of its kind" (whatever that means; there are probably many
international conferences on literature).
  700+ delegates from lots of countries are present in the Folkets Hus
conference centre in Stockholm (for instance, as I am writing people from
Mongolia are sitting to my right). WALTIC started yesterday and will go on
until Wednesday.
  Yesterday we had the main opening ceremonies, of which I saw the last half
(I had my watch in the computer room the first half). In the half I saw a
Swedish Same from Lapland sang a jazz/rock version of a Same "joik"
(traditional Same singing). We also had a welcome party, where we could mingle
with wine and light food. Yeah, and mingle with people too. I talked to some
from e g Bosnia and India.
  There are some people I know from before here, also known in my science
fiction circles. Gunnar Gällmo, the translator, is here, and of course does
some pushing for Esperanto. Another friend is Helena Sigander, writer, who is
personal host to I-dunno-who. A surprise was to meet Lena Jonsson, who gophers
in the reception; I knew here from waaaay back in the SFSF club. We talked a
little about old times (including how we there came to know Stieg Larsson).
  Today, I saw a speech by the internationally well-known Swedish crime writer
Henning Mankell, who spoke about fighting illteracy and the situation in Africa
(where he lives part of the time). He said that Man's ability to tell stories
is what defines us, as Homo Narras (spelling?). Getting basic education for all
children, to eradicate illteracy, would cost what we in Europe spend on cat and
dog food.
  I have just helped the Mongolians to print out something. Earlier, we had a
woman from China here who had some problems with connecting her laptop to the
conference centre system (and getting electricity; they have different plugs in
China, and not our current, ie 220-230 Volts).
  One of the Esperanto guys told me that a very important writer in the
Esperanto language, was one Stellan Engholm. Didn't know that. (But we're not
related, AFAIK.)
  Saw Ola Larsmo from the paper Dagens Nyheter here. Philip Pullman should be
here, or will arrive later. He'll have a speech, which I'll try not to miss.
I'll also try to hear the talk with the poet Helena Eriksson (who I know, but
it was a long time since I last saw here).
  More Waltzes from the WALTIC to follow later, I hope.

--Ahrvid
-----
SKRIVA - sf, fantasy och skräck  *  Äldsta svenska skrivarlistan
grundad 1997 * Info http://www.skriva.bravewriting.com eller skriva-
request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx för listkommandon (ex subject: subscribe).