[SKRIVA] New Scientist startar sf-magasin

  • From: Ahrvid Engholm <ahrvid@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <skriva@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 08:30:21 +0100

Brittiska New Scientist tänker starta ett sf-magasin. Eller i alla fall, man
kallar det "a magazine about the future" - skönlitterär sf skall tydligen ingå,
tillsammans med artiklar m m. Titel Arc:

http://www.stoweboyd.com/post/15568903566/announcing-arc-a-new-magazine-about-the-future-from

"February 2012 will see the debut of Arc, a bold new digital publication from
the makers of New Scientist.
Arc will explore the future through cutting-edge science fiction and
forward-looking essays by some of the world?s most celebrated authors ? backed
up with columns by thinkers and practitioners from the worlds of books, design,
gaming, film and more.
Arc 1.1 is edited by Simon Ings, author of acclaimed genre-spanning novels The
Weight of Numbers and Dead Water. Simon, who made his name with a trio of
ground-breaking cyberpunk novels, is a frequent commentator on science, science
fiction and all points in between.
?Arc is an experiment in how we talk about the future,? Simon explains. ?We
wanted to get past sterile ?visions? and dream up futures that evoke textures
and flavours and passions.? The response, he says, has been amazing. ?I feel
like the dog that caught the car,? he says. ?The appetite to be part of this
project has been huge. Writers have seized the opportunity to showcase their
thoughts, their dreams, their anxieties and their opinions about our future.?
For New Scientist editor Sumit Paul-Choudhury, Arc is an opportunity to explore
new territory.  ?We?ve known for many years that our readers are fascinated by
the future and all the possibilities it raises. But as a magazine of science
fact, we can?t indulge that fascination very often,? he explains. ?Arc will
explore the endless vistas opened up by today?s science and technology. While
it?s a very different venture from New Scientist, it will share its unique
combination of intelligence, wit and charm.?
John MacFarlane, Online Publisher of New Scientist, says ?I am thrilled to be
involved in the launch of this new title. The combination of superb content and
an innovative digital publishing model make for a very exciting project and I
am sure a broad range of readers will love Arc.?
Arc 1.1 will be available from mid-February 2012 on iPad, Kindle and as a
limited print edition."

Både i tryckt och E-form, som synes. Man får väl kanske skaffa en
sådingadäringa läsplatta. (Min billighets-G3-mobil kan visa E-böcker förstås,
men skärmen är opraktiskt liten.)  Man kan anmäla sig för att få info om Arc på
http://www.newscientist.com/arc/

--Ahrvid

--
ahrvid@xxxxxxxxxxx / Be an @SFJournalen Twitter Follower for all the latest
news in short form! / Gå med i SKRIVA - för författande, sf, fantasy, kultur

-----
SKRIVA - sf, fantasy och skräck  *  Äldsta svenska skrivarlistan
grundad 1997 * Info http://www.skriva.bravewriting.com eller skriva-
request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx för listkommandon (ex subject: subscribe).