[SKRIVA] NASA bekräftar jordlik planet i livszon

  • From: Ahrvid Engholm <ahrvid@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <skriva@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <sverifandom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2011 16:04:21 +0100

http://io9.com/5865107/nasa-confirms-discovery-of-the-most-earth+like-planet-yet

"Kepler-22b ... is the first planet we've ever confirmed orbits within the
so-called "habitable zone" of a Sun-like star, making it the most Earth-like
planet we've yet discovered. ... the planet orbits about 15% closer to its star
than Earth does to the Sun, but its star is also significantly cooler, dimmer,
and smaller than ours. And while scientists have yet to determine K-22b's
composition — be it rocky, gaseous or liquid — they estimate that surface
temperatures on K-22b average a very Earth-like 72-degrees Fahrenheit.
"This is a major milestone on the road to finding Earth's twin," said Douglas
Hudgins, Kepler program scientist at NASA Headquarters in Washington. "Kepler's
results continue to demonstrate the importance of NASA's science missions,
which aim to answer some of the biggest questions about our place in the
universe."

--Ahrvid

--
ahrvid@xxxxxxxxxxx / Be an @SFJournalen Twitter Follower for all the latest
news in short form! / Gå med i SKRIVA - för författande, sf, fantasy, kultur